[SOLVED] Patch Panel Help

CHANGEDUDEUSF

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
I apologize if this is something easy. I have never used a patch panel before. No matter what I try I am not able to get an internet connection through the patch panel. This is a panduit dp5e patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the router to patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the switch to the patch panel. Neither method work. I have noticed that the lights do not turn on either way. Is this patch panel supposed to have some kind of power supply for the lights? I do not see a way to plug it in. Am I missing some part I need? The router and switch both work fine.

Solution
That is my eventual goal. Right now I can not get a single port to work. I have my server next to the patch panel. So the first thing I tried was running one end from the router then the bare wires to the back of the patch panel. Then to test it I ran an ethernet cable from the front of where I ran the bare wires to my server. When that did not work I tried my experimenting of cable from the router to the front RJ45 port on the patch panel and a cable from the switch to the front RJ45 port on the patch panel.

My eventual goal is I would like the other computers in my office to be able to connect to the server. Is there a way to get a signal on port 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the patch panel? Is better to just get port 1 working then run a...
I apologize if this is something easy. I have never used a patch panel before. No matter what I try I am not able to get an internet connection through the patch panel. This is a panduit dp5e patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the router to patch panel. I have tried running a cable from the switch to the patch panel. Neither method work. I have noticed that the lights do not turn on either way. Is this patch panel supposed to have some kind of power supply for the lights? I do not see a way to plug it in. Am I missing some part I need? The router and switch both work fine.
A patch panel will need the bare wires attached to the back of the port for the front RJ45 port to work. Are you trying to plug an RJ45 into port 1 and get signal on port 2?

CHANGEDUDEUSF

Reputable
Jul 27, 2020
A patch panel will need the bare wires attached to the back of the port for the front RJ45 port to work. Are you trying to plug an RJ45 into port 1 and get signal on port 2?

That is my eventual goal. Right now I can not get a single port to work. I have my server next to the patch panel. So the first thing I tried was running one end from the router then the bare wires to the back of the patch panel. Then to test it I ran an ethernet cable from the front of where I ran the bare wires to my server. When that did not work I tried my experimenting of cable from the router to the front RJ45 port on the patch panel and a cable from the switch to the front RJ45 port on the patch panel.

My eventual goal is I would like the other computers in my office to be able to connect to the server. Is there a way to get a signal on port 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the patch panel? Is better to just get port 1 of the patch panel working then run a switch on port 1 and everything connect through the switch?

My eventual goal is I would like the other computers in my office to be able to connect to the server. Is there a way to get a signal on port 1, 2, 3, and 4 of the patch panel? Is better to just get port 1 working then run a switch on port 1 and everything connect through the switch?
Here is how you will need it setup. The patch panel will have all the computers bare wire plugged into the back of the patch panel. Then each port on the front is connected to the switch. The server and firewalls are then plugged into the switch. Remember the patch panel cannot do switching or routing.

Solution