[SOLVED] Patchy ethernet network after replacing motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 29, 2020
Symptoms and history:
  • Issue started after replacing motherboard.
  • Cable connected to router directly. Internet/network randomly drops out anywhere from 1-30 times in a 10min period for 5-30seconds.
  • No issues on other networked computers or devices.
  • Computer was 4 years old and had heating issues (no network issues) but almost all parts except power supply and case have been replaced in the last year and there seem to be no other issues with hardware.
  • WEIRD After turning on PC, it only happens about 80% of the time and restarting can (but rarely) fix it! Once fixed, everything works flawlessly. Restarting the router manually doesn't help but restarting it through the computer does about 70% of the time.
WEIRDER Sometimes I can turn on my PC, play online multiplayer games without latency or packetloss for >30mins. Tab out and try to browse the web, no-network, can't connect. Tried different browsers, updating windows, updating drivers, scanning for malware, no help.
This part makes no sense to me, how can it only happen sometimes? How can some applications still work?

Tests:
  • Set up a perpetual ping to router, get very different patterns. Sometimes packet doesn't get through for extended periods, othertimes it only drops 1 a minute.
  • Swapped out ethernet cable
  • Swapped router ports
  • Searched the web and found many potential fixes but nothing seems to work. Couldn't find anyone with this exact problem.
  • Finally I formatted hard drive, re-installed windows 10 but keeps happening

Suspected issue:
  • Network card/motherboard hardware issue?
  • Hardware compatability issue?
  • Router/PC IP assigning issue?

Specs:
CPU - Intel i5-9400F
Motherboard - ASRock B365M-HDV
HD - SSD 860 QVO 1TB
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti
OS - Windows 10 Home

Running 'ipconfig/all' yields:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-LUR51JC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-85-C2-F2-9D-70
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2840:f25d:ea6d:c1ef%7(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 29 February 2020 5:00:43 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 1 March 2020 5:00:43 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 108037570
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-25-EC-A6-7A-70-85-C2-F2-9D-70
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Solution
If you changed your motherboard but did not do a clean OS install, It is probably a Windows problem. Boot a portable Linux OS and test.
Feb 29, 2020
If you changed your motherboard but did not do a clean OS install, It is probably a Windows problem. Boot a portable Linux OS and test.
I did already do a clean install, its a bit hard to find in my long post but in the middle.
Oddly enough, I haven't changed anything but for the last 3 days everything has been working fine... so I'll have to wait for it to show problems again before I can run some more tests.

TommyDFloyd

Commendable
Mar 3, 2020
If you have any more problems, boot a Linux live cd and see if you have any problems there-(Pinoy Tambayan series)-if you do, it's hardware. If not, it's windows.
When this happens have you tried to ping the gateway to see if it is local networking. First click Start and type cmd and press enter. When the box opens type ping 127.0.0.1, second ping 192.168.1.1, third ping something like google DNS eg. ping 8.8.8.8
If you get a failure in the first one then there is a failure of the NIC. If it fails the second one that is communication with your router. The third one is beyond your router. Try these steps when it happens next. It sounds like a NIC failure of some type. One other thing is to verify the drivers are from the manufacturer and not windows. Sometimes the windows built-in drivers can have issues.

Feb 29, 2020
When this happens have you tried to ping the gateway to see if it is local networking. First click Start and type cmd and press enter. When the box opens type ping 127.0.0.1, second ping 192.168.1.1, third ping something like google DNS eg. ping 8.8.8.8
If you get a failure in the first one then there is a failure of the NIC. If it fails the second one that is communication with your router. The third one is beyond your router. Try these steps when it happens next. It sounds like a NIC failure of some type. One other thing is to verify the drivers are from the manufacturer and not windows. Sometimes the windows built-in drivers can have issues.

So it happened again. I ran the ping tests and it fails on the second one, so definitely communication with router.

It was working correctly for 4 days in a row! Why now it stuffs up I don't know

Disabled IPv6 but didn't help either.

Status
Not open for further replies.