Path on the remote desktop client

I would like to connect to my home PC running windows XP Pro from my work
computer using Windows 2000. I believe I can download the Remote Desktop
client to the work computer and use that to connect to the home PC. My
question is how do I tell the client on the work computer where to go to find
my computer at home?

My computer at home is behind a router and the Windows firewall has been
enabled. The home computer's IP address is via DCHP from the router. I have
cable internet, dynamic IP.

First you need TCP Port 3389 open on the router and directed to the private LAN IP of the PC your
trying to access. Be aware that your office firewall may block TCP Port 3389 outbound.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

You should be using a static LAN IP for the PC for this to work consistently...

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Call using the public IP of the router, ie. the IP assigned by your ISP...

If your ISP assigns a dynamic IP to your router, then another solution is to setup an account with
one of the dynamic naming services that map a fully qualified domain name to the IP. In my case I
use a FREE service from No-IP.com. The No-IP.com software runs on my XP Pro box and on a time
schedule basis contacts the No-IP.com servers. The No-IP.com servers then know what your IP is and
maps that to a fully qualified domain name. That information is then propagated over the public
internet. You could then call the client PC using the fully qualified domain name. It works very
well for me when I call my home network using Remote Desktop.

http://www.no-ip.com

Others...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/Default.aspx?tabid=56

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"JMAELLIS" <JMAELLIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I would like to connect to my home PC running windows XP Pro from my work
> computer using Windows 2000. I believe I can download the Remote Desktop
> client to the work computer and use that to connect to the home PC. My
> question is how do I tell the client on the work computer where to go to find
> my computer at home?
>
> My computer at home is behind a router and the Windows firewall has been
> enabled. The home computer's IP address is via DCHP from the router. I have
> cable internet, dynamic IP.

Check out these article on Remote Desktop on
www.helpline4it.com/lab_practices.html and click on Windows 2003 and find
the article there
--
The Best IT Community Portal!
www.helpline4it.com
"JMAELLIS" <JMAELLIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to connect to my home PC running windows XP Pro from my work
> computer using Windows 2000. I believe I can download the Remote Desktop
> client to the work computer and use that to connect to the home PC. My
> question is how do I tell the client on the work computer where to go to
find
> my computer at home?
>
> My computer at home is behind a router and the Windows firewall has been
> enabled. The home computer's IP address is via DCHP from the router. I
have
> cable internet, dynamic IP.

hey mate:how do i setup remote desktop?
jack

In message <5E8AC75A-661B-4023-BBA7-13CB2C5AAFFB@microsoft.com>,
"=?Utf-8?B?amFjayBjLg==?=" <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> hey mate:how do i setup remote desktop?
> jack

Go to 'Start -> Help & Support' and search on the string 'remote desktop'...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/