Question Patiently waiting for Radeon VII ordered last Friday, looking for water block suggestions

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
So I'm patiently waiting for the Radeon VII I ordered from AMD last Friday. This is a hot card ~300w, looking for water block suggestions.

Actually, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't that hot. The Radeon VII takes a new approach to temp monitoring and as a result reports temps that have classically been seen as dangerously high, but in practice the card is no hotter than cards that came before it. As for water blocks... I'm not 100% sure, only about 99%, but there have been no designs released yet. The Radeon VII was kind of a rushed launch, probably due to a Navi delay. They didn't get the chips or specifications to AIB partners until pretty late. So as a result there are probably no engineered water blocks yet.

Reactions: pitogo

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
Thanks. I'm building a new water-cooled loop to directly exhaust hot air from the top of the case in a new Ryzen 7 2700X on an x470. I'm waiting on a Lian Li O11 Dynamic White case for it. Fedex was supposed to deliver this past Friday I kept checking then suddenly at 5pm said delivery exception, redelivery requested so now I have to wait until Monday WTF?

Anyway the good news-being on the east coast-my Radeon VII finally arrived today Saturday Feb 16th. I couldn't wait so I tried it out on one of my systems which has a Noctua D14s Xeon x5690 4.27GHz and an RX580 with two exhaust fans 120mm rear and 140mm top and it gets stinking hot while gaming. I have to keep the glass side panel off which increases noise. I can say the Radeon VII is equally just as loud and hot while gaming. And louder at idle, my XFX RX 580 8GB idled with the fan off. The new card idles with fan at around 844RPM.

So was it worth the 699 meh, my RX 580 8GB for $139 is still a better value.

There will likely on be 1 or 2 choices for blocks for the Radeon VII. My guess is EKWB will be one and first to create. Outside of aesthetics, most of the blocks will perform within a few degrees of each other. Quality can vary, but stick with name brands that are common and reputable and you should be fine. Besides a lot of folks here using EKWB, I myself typically use HeatKiller or Aquacomputer for blocks.

pitogo

Reputable
Feb 15, 2019
So yep. Just wanted to show interest I opened a case with EKWB and was sent this note.

EKWB Support (Chris) (EKWB Support)
Feb 27, 23:25 CET
Hello,
Thank you for contacting us today 😄‍
we are aiming for a late March-mid April launch for the Radeon vii blocks 😄 They haven't given me the specs yet but it should be able to fit in the Lian li 011 dynamic because as you said it is a very popular case.
If you have any other questions or need any additional help please feel free to ask :)
Best regards, Chris