Patriot Announces USB Type-C Flash Drive, Evinces Signs Of Growing Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
well yeah when you're trying to completely rehaul a connector, this will happen. i don't know if usb 3.0 had the same penetration as usb 2.0, but i'm sure we'll be seeing a flood of these devices for the next 5 years.

Simon Anderson

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2013
i think this will pickup quicker than USB 3 did over USB 2... how many folks around the office still give you a damned USB1 or 2 flashdrive to put the latest copy of... er... some large file... ignorant of the speed of USB3. Different connecter, the plebs will actually realise "oo its different, it's better!"

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
IDK, USB 3.0 might be over kill for keyboards and mice, but memory card readers, external hard drives, I made the switch and I'm not going back. Anyone still using USB 1.x or 2.x is living in the past.

I don't think there will ever be a keyboard and mouse that takes advantage of the speed of USB 3 or 3.1.

But hey..... I can install Windows 8.1 Pro on my 386sx 33mhz with 4mb ram and 128mb hard drive with a 2mb video card right?

Times change.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
It's going to be a tough sell. Most people have standard usb devices, so until everything is replaced there is no significant reason to use the new connector.

It's not going to be tough to sell a new type of USB connector flash drive. Flash drivers are dirt cheap nowadays. I guarantee you all it needs is momentum.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
When 10MB/s write is all you can get from a smaller flash drive, not many will see a reason to change, sadly.

"But hey..... I can install Windows 8.1 Pro on my 386sx 33mhz with 4mb ram and 128mb hard drive with a 2mb video card right?"
Nope, you can not. PAE, NX and SSE2 is what you need. Even those legendary Athlons XP cannot run it.

hannibal

Distinguished
Also there will be old USB connector and new c-type connector in the market for many years, so It does not make people any hassle to have usb 3.1.
In the long run the C-type will be in majority of devices, if it is sturdy enough. Even if it is not it will replace many of those mini and micro usb connectors that we have today.
The sooner we get a lot of type c-connected devices, the better!
So that when your old usb stick or other usb device just give up and stop working, you can replace it with device with type C connector. It will happen gradually, but hopefully inevitable.

Well, I can give you one way a keyboard can "take advantage of USB 3.0/3.1 - when it has an integrated USB hub in it. Dell used to sell a keyboard with an integrated hub, and it definitely was easier to plug USB devices into it, especially when your PC was farther away or simply didn't have USB ports on the front. An older design, to be sure, but still helpful - even if you don't see many of those type of keyboards in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.