Patriot or OCZ

marshcorps

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Hi,

At the end of November I am looking to get an SSD for my PC but I am not too sure what is the better buy.

I have three choices:

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB @ R2900
Patriot Wildfire 120GB @ R2900
Patriot Pyro 120GB @ R2300

I live in South Africa, and the Wildfire and Vertex 3 are about the same price, but the Pyro is quite a lot cheaper.

i am leaning towards forking out the cash for the Vertex 3, but if you had to choose would it be be the Vertex 3, the Wildfire, or go for the cheaper Pyro?

Thanks for any responses.

Solution

Hi... we can supply the Patriot Pyro in South Africa (Gauteng) for R1,999

As for the choice between the 3... if you're coming from a traditional HDD the performance difference is so dramatic that it won't really matter that much, you might as well take the far more cost-effective option.

If you're interested, you can reach www.absol.co.za via sales@absol.co.za or 012-365-2142

marshcorps

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks beenthere, I see that the Wildfire is Toms choice over the Vertex 3 which is good to know. However the Pyro is not on the list.

For the price difference would it be worth getting?

It is now down to the Patriot Wildfire for R2900, or the Pyro for R2300. So much for my first choice :p

From the review "You don't have to have the best SSD to get great performance relative to a hard drive.", and I assume that if the Pyro was on it would probably be ranked about Tier 5, which is about a 20% difference compared to the Wildfire.

So I guess that changing from my HDD to the Pyro would be a huge speed increase, but the difference from the Pyro to the Wildfire wouldn't be as much.

I guess I can put this to rest and get the cheaper Pyro. Unless I have missed something.

macana

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011

Hi... we can supply the Patriot Pyro in South Africa (Gauteng) for R1,999

As for the choice between the 3... if you're coming from a traditional HDD the performance difference is so dramatic that it won't really matter that much, you might as well take the far more cost-effective option.

If you're interested, you can reach www.absol.co.za via sales@absol.co.za or 012-365-2142

Solution

macana

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
My pleasure... are you based in Gauteng or too far away from us?

I have not used the Pyro myself, but we're thinking about buying 2 for a RAID 1 solution in a small server for high performance SQL requirements.

For the money, it seems like a better solution than the Intel 320-series - the OCZ range is simply too expensive. Kingston is another reasonable option to consider.

marshcorps

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
I am in Joburg. I would need to organise courier through to Joburg CBD where I work. Once I have saved up for the drive I will send you an email and see how your Pyros are working out for you.

macana

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
Cool, we can arrange for delivery if you decide to go ahead... for contracted customers/corporates we do it free as they spend several thousand Rand every month, but as a once-off we can probably include delivery for about 50 bucks.