[SOLVED] Patriot Viper 32gb 4400mhz running at 2133mhz base and won't post with "D.O.C.P. Standard"

Sep 18, 2020
Setup:
2x (2x8gb) patriot viper 4400mhz
Rog crosshair hero VIII
Ryzen 9 3900x

Hello all, I'm having some issues running this ram in my setup. I have no problems getting it to run at base speeds with no XMP or anything, however that leaves it at 2133mhz. I attempted to enable XMP, however there is no option for it and it instead lists "D.O.C.P. standard" Which I have admittedly never heard of before as this is my first build on an asus board. The system doesn't boot with this setting enabled, so I updated my bios and am still having the same issues. This board supports ram up to even 4800mhz so I figured I would have no issues getting this setup but now i'm starting to get a bit discouraged.

I'm a little lost on where to go from here so any advice would be very appreciated. I've attempted watching some videos of other's manually overclocking this ram set but the closest setup I can find was a video by actually hardcore overclocking only he was running it on a Maximus XI gene and i'm missing what feels like half the settings he is changing to even begin to replicate his OC profile.

Below is a photo of the settings that get changed/enabled when I turn on the DOCP standard
Hyperlink because the image was massive.

Edit: I should have also pointed out that I was aware the CPU wouldn't take advantage of it's speed, actually much of anything past 3600mhz. The goal was future proofing for next gen ryzen and it was also top rated on toms hardware and on sale at the time so the purchase kinda just made sense.

Last edited:
Solution
"Edit: I should have also pointed out that I was aware the CPU wouldn't take advantage of it's speed, actually much of anything past 3600mhz. The goal was future proofing for next gen ryzen and it was also top rated on toms hardware and on sale at the time so the purchase kinda just made sense."

Is it working if you put kit 1 in A2-B2 and kit 2 in A1-B1 or the opposite at 3600MHz using the XMP/DOCP profile and setting the speed at 3600MHz manually? Probably won't because of the 4 sticks and mixing 2 kit. Try running them at 3200MHz if 3600MHz isn't working until it stays.

If it doesn't try 1 kit only in A2-B2. With 1 kit you should have no issue running them at 3600MHz.
Yes, I purchased two sets of (2x8gb) for four sticks total and alternated for first-third and second-fourth slots. Just updated the bios before making this post so it's not that.
Oh, so two different kits? That's probably your issue. RAM is only guaranteed to work together when purchased as a kit. Especially with Ryzen and especially with 4 sticks. Also, getting 4 sticks to work at 4400mhz is going to be a challenge even if bought as a kit.

Reactions: Nemesia

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I would highly recommend returning those 4400mhz RAM sticks and getting 3600mhz ones. The trouble compared to the "performance" you get extra is definetly not worth it and will cause problems over and over again. 3600mhz is the sweetspot and 4400mhz could even affect you performance negativly. If you push your ram mhz too high the IF will start splitting it since it cant handle the timings correctly and you will end up with 2200mhz instead of 4400mhz

Reactions: Nemesia
"Edit: I should have also pointed out that I was aware the CPU wouldn't take advantage of it's speed, actually much of anything past 3600mhz. The goal was future proofing for next gen ryzen and it was also top rated on toms hardware and on sale at the time so the purchase kinda just made sense."

Is it working if you put kit 1 in A2-B2 and kit 2 in A1-B1 or the opposite at 3600MHz using the XMP/DOCP profile and setting the speed at 3600MHz manually? Probably won't because of the 4 sticks and mixing 2 kit. Try running them at 3200MHz if 3600MHz isn't working until it stays.

If it doesn't try 1 kit only in A2-B2. With 1 kit you should have no issue running them at 3600MHz.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 18, 2020

0.0 this worked, just finished running a memory test on it and it's running stable on 3600mhz with 15 latency using all 4 sticks of ram (not sure how auto set that for me) didn't change anything else. I honestly didn't realize I could keep the DOCP active and also manually change things... I feel a little slow but hey at least it's working; Thanks!

Sep 18, 2020
Oh, so two different kits? That's probably your issue. RAM is only guaranteed to work together when purchased as a kit.

I would highly recommend returning those 4400mhz RAM sticks and getting 3600mhz ones.

I'll definitely be heeding this advice in the future. Thankfully with the sale price I got on these it's honestly not too far off of what the 3600mhz kit is now so I don't think i'll bother exchanging them. The lack of experience definitely made this more difficult than it needed to be but hey I learned a lot through the process so I suppose it was worth it in the end. Thanks for all the help guuys!

Reactions: Burigeller