Patriot Viper RGB 2x8GB DDR4-3600 Review: Value at Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
There's a typo in the lowest stated timings table. There are two DDR4 2400 columns and there shouldn't be.

$230 is a lot of money to pay for a 1% performance boost over slower ram. I'm glad you guys thought highly of this product but its not something I would buy.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Thanks AgentLozen for pointing out the data error.
I say data error because it's not a typo. As far as I know, nobody typed "DDR4-2400" in that column. The original table, which was copied, pasted, and checked by me said DDR4-3733 in the first occurrence. And now that I've manually typed "DDR4-3733" there...I just made it possible for it to be a typo.

Whatever is going on with our website, I have no idea.

Robert_388

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Just grabbed some Patriot Viper 4 DDR4 3400 for only $175 shipped off amazon. Should be here tomorrow. Its going into my Ryzen 1800x budget build which other than the memory is made of all used parts. It's on the QVL of the ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard so should be good to go.

BTW the avatar upload page is broken.

Robert_388

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Testing ram speeds on an Intel system is pretty stupid (because it is a waste of time), by the way. Why not test on a Ryzen where ram speed actually matters?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I could say the same thing about Ryzen testing. Why not test on Coffee Lake where speed is actually POSSIBLE? And if Ryzen performs best at even multiples of 266.6 MHz data rate, why are you concerned with DDR4-3600?

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Very nice kit it seems. Definitely on my wish list for an upgrade if 8 core Intel cpu hit the shelves.
You guys do much care about motherboard approved memory lists? I always use Asus boards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Motherboard approved memory is only the modules that the motherboard manufacturer had on-hand for validation. Since we're validating memory through the review process, that's not a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS