Review Patriot Viper VP4300 M.2 NVMe SSD Review: Killer Looks, Fast Performance

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
My complain is the killer price......500 for 2TB version is way too expensive. Thats 100 more expensive than brands like Sabrent and Adata and 50 more than WesternDigital black.

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
In all tests, eg Samsung 980 Pro is faster and cca 50 Eur cheaper. Similar for WD SN850.
Why should I buy Viper?
Yeah, it has bigger SLC cache but final result is nothing special but too expensive.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
In all tests, eg Samsung 980 Pro is faster and cca 50 Eur cheaper. Similar for WD SN850.
Why should I buy Viper?
Yeah, it has bigger SLC cache but final result is nothing special but too expensive.

The speed is only visible in sequential read/write benchmarks. You wont find your games/apps load any faster.

ceomrman2

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
I agree with the reviewer and with other posters that it's launch price is oddly optimistic. Surely they looked at the price of their better-known competitors? The extra cost sinks this option for buyers looking to get an SSD this week. Nonetheless, prices change with the wind. If Patriot gets the message and hands out $100 coupons next month, voila, they've got a winner. I will say Tom's is pretty good about staying on top of those changes in their currently recommended lists, but anyone searching later when the review is a little older will probably only see the original conclusions.

macgeek

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Going by Western Digital's pricing, I'd say at least $50 of Patriot's price is from the heatsink. At least Western Digital lets you save $50 by going without the heatsink, which makes sense if you have a motherboard that comes with its own SSD heatsink setup, like the relatively inexpensive ($150) MSI B550 Gaming Plus.

Last edited: