[SOLVED] HP Pavilion dv7 cpu upgrade

Eddievet

Honorable
Jun 8, 2015
Hello,

I have a pavilion dv7 3110ea with i3 (1st gen) 330m cpu and want to upgrade to a better cpu. What is the best/highest cpu model i can upgrade to?
Also, is it possible to upgrade to i3 620m?

Thanks in advance

Solution
That 330m comes in two versions (PGA or BGA). If it's PGA then it's fitted in a G1 socket and can be replaced. If it's a BGA version ...it'll be soldered and thus not replaceable.

So ... if you have the PGA version ... my best guess is that the 620M will work (note that it is an i7 not an i3) ... same socket ... same thermals ... same microarchitecture. There's no quarantees when it comes to swapping processors though but ... it does look promising.
That 330m comes in two versions (PGA or BGA). If it's PGA then it's fitted in a G1 socket and can be replaced. If it's a BGA version ...it'll be soldered and thus not replaceable.

So ... if you have the PGA version ... my best guess is that the 620M will work (note that it is an i7 not an i3) ... same socket ... same thermals ... same microarchitecture. There's no quarantees when it comes to swapping processors though but ... it does look promising.

Solution
I haven't had a chance to play around with the Chrome OS on a pc ... but I believe there is a way to do it. If you wanted a comprehensive answer about this ... I think the best way forward would be to start a new post asking about Chrome (Chromium) OS on a laptop.

Reactions: Eddievet