• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Build Advice Pavilion Elite m9425f Desktop + Custom built system - need help to build a better system on very low budget

UnicornU

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2013
Hi guys
Here is the context to make you understand why I am doing these:

I already have a server 64G 16Cores AMD system where I am running my workloads (labs)

Desktop
-https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01549581 (HP Pavilion Elite m9425f)
-6G of RAM
DDR-2 UDIMM Rev 12 2G 400/800 Samsung
DDR-2 UDIMM Rev 12 1G 400/800 ProMos/Mosel Vitelic
DDR-2 UDIMM Rev 12 2G 400/800 Samsung
DDR-2 UDIMM Rev 12 1G 400/800 ProMos/Mosel Vitelic
- CPU upgraded to Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 4 Core(s).
-video card -NVidia GForce 210

Problems:
-noisy run down PSU
-not enough memory
-I think the graphic card needs to be upgraded
-very small chassis you can't much there, poor ventilation (one PSU fan at the back)

Older retired server
- EVGA nForce 730i MB
- 8G or RAM (some shared with the Video Card) - 4x2G DDR2-800
-CPU a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
-on board video card -GeForce 9300/nForce 730i Chipset
PSU -https://www.newegg.ca/seasonic-x-series-x650-gold-650w/p/N82E16817151088
-chassis - https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811119137
RAM specs:

My needs
-run MS Office, browsing, some Sketchup work that could benefit from a better video card
-RDP into my lab
-on occasion run WSL2 (which is not starting on my desktop right now, not sure if the CPU is missing anything or it is a software setting )
With the current load the memory (70% of 6G constantly) seems to be the bottleneck and the HDD (no SSD) -probably a lot of swapping when switching between programs due to lack of memory
--I have two monitors and a graphic tablet -I am short of HDMi connectors -the desktop has just one connector

The ask
I would like to kindly ask if you could help me by telling me what would be a good way to build one better system by doing some Frankenstein work with these two I already have>
I am thinking about doing this:
-use the CoolMaster chassis and the Seasonic PSU
-use the - EVGA nForce 730i MB as it already has 8G of RAM (not sure if the desktop MB is better in any way)
-all the above are already in the server chassis
-move the Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, 2667 Mhz, 4 Core(s) from desktop to the above MB (I hope it is supported,) or spend some $ for a better CPU (please recommend me something here)
-move the NVIDA GForce 210 from the desktop to the above server chassis and install it. Is it possible to use both video cards now ? the built in and the GeForce210? That will give me one more HDMI
-buy an SSD drive to install the OS and apps on it and keep other things on spinners (I will aggregate the storage from both in the new chassys

Will the above work?
If there is a way to buy a better CPU, Graphic card, memory or Motherboard for very little (I am thinking used components ) that could be supported by the above please feel free to suggest. I would put around 200-250CAD more into this but not much more as I am planning to beef up the lab server or buy one more lab server
I know that the above are old components but ...I don't really need more (no games or anything else that would require high end componets)

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS