Pavilion Gaming vs Ideapad Gaming - build quality

Feb 17, 2021
Greetings. I live in Europe and I use my computer for productivity related to architecture, so 2D drafting on AutoCAD, 3D modelling on Revit, rendering on Enscape and also Adobe and Office suites. I'm going to buy either one of these laptops, both going for around 900 euro:

HP Pavilion Gaming 15-EC1012NS AMD Ryzen 7 4800H/16GB/512GB SSD/GTX 1650Ti/15.6"
Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ARH05 AMD Ryzen 7 4800H/16GB/512GB SSD/GTX1650/15.6"

For the same price, the Pavilion offers a 4GB 1650Ti videocard, which is slightly faster than its 4GB 1650 counterpart. It also offers a 52,5Wh battery as opposed to the 45Wh battery found on the Lenovo.
However, I am of the impression that Lenovo laptops offer better build quality than their HP counterparts. Build quality is important for me as I carry my laptops around a lot, often on my bicycle, and I expect them to last around 5 years. My past laptop, an Asus, failed me not because it became obsolete but because of reliability. On the other hand, from the images it seems like the Pavilion has a more "showy-offy" design drawn to gamers, while the Lenovo is more discrete. While I do prefer a discrete design, the gaming-esque design might mean the chassis on the Pavilion was designed with videocard cooling airflow in mind, while the Ideapad might be an adaptation of a chassis found on laptops with integrated video, so it might fail providing enough airflow for the videocard?

A laptop bouncing around on a bike, lots of things that can happen there. Make sure the system is fully shut off before you transport it.

I like Lenovo is more reliable than HP but you are right about the vents and cooling on the HP, it looks to have more of it, but also has a faster and hotter video card to go with it. If you look up reviews of the systems they should have temperature tests with those.

TRENDING THREADS