PayPal Researching Payments in Space with PayPal Galactic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This may be a little premature, but is a fun concept. Of course even 50 years from now when this becomes necessary I'll still never use Paypal.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
"Speaking during a press conference today, PayPal said there would be many issues on the path to space payments including...customer service."

How about they fix their current customer service issues?

I made a large Ebay purchase recently that was temporarily rescinded by PayPal's anti-fraud service. That wasn't the issue; I admit that a first-time purchaser dropping over $2000 looks suspicious, and I'd rather them be a little over-zealous if it means catching more fraudsters at an earlier and easier-to-resolve step. Being a first-time purchaser, I called up their customer service to get a better explanation of what would happen, and I spent close to 2 hours on hold before I finally was put through to someone (he was rather helpful, by the way). When I called a few days later to follow up on what was happening, I spent another hour+ on hold before I happened to check my account and saw that my money had finally showed up in my account and I could finally pay the seller. While I may have been calling at somewhat busy times (both were in the evening PT), guess what, you should staff your call centers with more people during high-volume hours. No one should have to wait on hold for over an hour.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
What's the point?? People who can afford to pay to go to space will already have everything covered in their space tour package...they won't need to pay anything coz they have already paid for everything before getting onboard. Or you want to buy from e-Bay while in Space and ask them to deliver your package to the Moon?

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
How to get a lot of energy output using the smallest amount of mass, cheaply and reliably is the main issue concerning space exploration. Maybe the earliest form of space exploration will mirror the earliest form of sea exploration, using solar panel and solar sail, which uses the cheapest energy source that is already available within the solar system. Using chemical fuel right now is like using sailing into sea with nothing but oars.

D

Deleted member 217926

As said above this is premature but Paypal might just be the have secured themselves as the next richest corporation in the solar system with this. Too bad in 50 years I will be pushing 90 and a little too old for spaceflight. Maybe we will see technological singularity by then and I can just download my consciousness to Mars!

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hey PayPal, I'll bet we use cash. Deposit $200 with whatever company is taking you to Mars, on arrival pick up $200 worth of Martian bucks from same company, minus a small fee of course. Leave it to PayPal to complicate things.

Status
Not open for further replies.