orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
Hello,

There are a few things I am curious about with my Ryzen 3800X processor.
I want to learn from friends who have knowledge.

I have an Asus Crosshair VIII motherboard and Asus Strix LC360 AIO liquid cooling.
I want to increase the processor performance a little more.

But in my research on the internet, it says that manual overclocking should not be done for the Ryzen 3000 series.
I've seen reviews and articles stating that processors are built on the principle of operation at variable voltage loads.
Many places say it's not good to give constant voltage.

All my settings are kept at factory settings. My CPB setting is in auto.
I also use my PBO setting as Auto. There is a setting between 1x and 10x in the PBO. (Scala)
Is it better to increase this setting or use it as auto tuning?

My aim is to use the processor with optimum performance without damaging or degrade it.
I would appreciate it if you could give information about how PBO and Scalar settings should be.

Solution
FYI I did what you said and was able to produce some higher scores. With some fiddling around I could probably do better, but this is probably close to my CPUs limit. I got this chip right after launch, and what I understand is TSMC's production was able to produce higher yields later on. Maybe I'll wait till its gets really cold and do a speed run to see if I can break that 5000 barrier haha. Thanks again for the help!

dgo4VAh.png
S8ePNus.png
mlEXcDi.png
2m3WKzi.png
The single core CB20 runs (519) suggest your 3800X is performing right up where it should be. I feel you should be able to see MT up over 5100, maybe even to 5200...

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I've set one of my bios profiles with XMP enabled and the CPU running PBO +200Mhz.
It gets a fair score in CB20 but not as good as just setting it at 4.3GHz. What I like about PBO is that it idles well - with low power consumption.

Reactions: CountMike
Hello,

I have an Asus Crosshair VIII motherboard and Asus Strix LC360 AIO liquid cooling.

But in my research on the internet, it says that manual overclocking should not be done for the Ryzen 3000 series.
I've seen reviews and articles stating that processors are built on the principle of operation at variable voltage loads.

I also use my PBO setting as Auto. There is a setting between 1x and 10x in the PBO. (Scala)

My aim is to use the processor with optimum performance without damaging or degrade it.
I would appreciate it if you could give information about how PBO and Scalar settings should be.
Try this first https://videocardz.com/newz/clocktuner-for-ryzen-ctr-by-1usmus-is-now-availalbe

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
I've set one of my bios profiles with XMP enabled and the CPU running PBO +200Mhz.
It gets a fair score in CB20 but not as good as just setting it at 4.3GHz. What I like about PBO is that it idles well - with low power consumption.

I was also using it as +200 Mhz.
Now I use all settings as Auto.
Is it dangerous to increase the scalar value?

dimtodim

Reputable
Hello,

PBO disable :) u will get stable temp

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
Make sure you have all CB r20 files in folder Cb20 in same folder as CTR and just click on start, It will at some time run it to get parameters.

I get it now. It automatically gets and sets parameters. So does it save Overclock settings after the process is complete? Does it process the values it gives directly to the BIOS or do we have to enter it manually? Because I don't want to overclock on Windows. As with Ryzen Master.

I get it now. It automatically gets and sets parameters. So does it save Overclock settings after the process is complete? Does it process the values it gives directly to the BIOS or do we have to enter it manually? Because I don't want to overclock on Windows. As with Ryzen Master.
It doesn't make any permanent changes to BIOS. just save profile and set it to run with windows.

What is the point of this program if we can only do it through programs and windows?
The important thing is to record the values in bios. And not to keep the settings permanently?
Point is not in overclock but o keep safe voltage and power values by accessing BIOS options not available to user otherwise. As we can't access those settings it ha to do it on the fly because can't change them permanently.

Hello,

OK...for the best easy settings I've seen, watch one of Buildzoid's videos.

TL/DW (he rambles unbelievably): first install AMD's chipset drivers and run the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan unaltered. Set up BIOS with Cool n Quiet, Advanced C States, Processor CPPC and CPPC Preferred Cores all to ENABLED. And, of course, leave CPU clocks and VCore both in AUTO.

Now, enable PBO, in MANUAL mode. Set PPT to 330W and TDC and EDC both to 230A.

Many people do not like setting scalar above 1x, they say it holds a higher voltage on the CPU and that can lead to degradation. I set mine to 5X.

You can tweak from there. Try undervolting VCore: theory is lower vcore = lower temps = better sustained boosts under load but stability can degrade and/or actually lose light threaded boosting and performance. Use offsets only and useful amount is very dependent on your motherboard and CPU.

As BZ notes in his video, PBO with Ryzen 3 is wonky. Some have had luck with exploiting what's called the 'EDC=0' bug. It's a long thread, a lot to read. Many variations on how to exploit it as it's highly dependent on your motherboard and CPU. I use it on my system and it does seem to work.

Another tweak is to enable auto overclocking, or additional turbo boost or whatever it may be called. Bump it up to an additional 200Mhz. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not, but you'll not likely see an additional 200Mhz on top of the max boost from that alone.

Last edited:
What is the point of this program if we can only do it through programs and windows?
The important thing is to record the values in bios. And not to keep the settings permanently?
It may not be the author's intent, but to me the point is it helps people who're he77-bent on overclocking Ryzen 3000 do it without so much experimentation. And even more importantly, while keeping the voltage safe for long term use. It may or may not result in performance improvements (more likely not), but hopefully fewer people will find their systems going unstable in a year and wonder why.

orodruin

Honorable
Jan 23, 2019
It may not be the author's intent, but to me the point is it helps people who're he77-bent on overclocking Ryzen 3000 do it without so much experimentation. And even more importantly, while keeping the voltage safe for long term use. It may or may not result in performance improvements (more likely not), but hopefully fewer people will find their systems going unstable in a year and wonder why.

I turned off the PBO. That way, I use all the settings in the factory settings. I did not touch anything. I only use the memories by activating the DOCP profile.

M3rKn

Respectable
Nov 13, 2019
There isn't much performance that can be squeezed out of the 3800x unless you have a custom water loop. When Ryzen is chilled it boosts higher on its own. And yeah I saw the most gains just by enabling XMP, PBO hardly does anything for me. The only place I can see a difference is in synthetic benchmarks. I see no real world benefit from the Ryzen Balanced power plan vs Windows Balanced/Performance power plan. When using the Windows power plans my CPU still boosts to the same frequencies as Ryzen Balanced. The difference is with Ryzen Balanced its always boosting for no reason. Windows balanced only boosts when it needs to. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Boris_yo