[SOLVED] PBO with Ryzen 5 5600x

Splesh

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
When I turned pbo off in ryzen master, the cpu doesnt want to go back to its base clock its like having pbo turned on.

Solution
Ok, so what exactly, in detail, is your concern. Is it the fact that with PBO disabled your CPU is still showing boost behavior above the base clock speed? If so, that is normal. You do not WANT it to stay at the base clock speed. That defeats the performance of the CPU and you should be able to run with the stock boost enabled (Not the same as PBO) with no problem. If you are having some other problem, then please explain further.
Yes, precision boost/XFR2 are the stock "boost" profile, and will still boost the CPU frequency. PBO is precision boost OVERDRIVE, which is the optional factory overclock boost profile, and while it generally comes enabled on most systems so motherboard manufacturers can claim higher performance numbers, it is still an optional feature and when using only stock cooling I always recommend disabling PBO/PBO2.

Ok, so what exactly, in detail, is your concern. Is it the fact that with PBO disabled your CPU is still showing boost behavior above the base clock speed? If so, that is normal. You do not WANT it to stay at the base clock speed. That defeats the performance of the CPU and you should be able to run with the stock boost enabled (Not the same as PBO) with no problem. If you are having some other problem, then please explain further.

Solution

Splesh

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
Thanks for explaining. I didn't know that because my last cpu before ryzen was i5 4460.

Yeah, no problem at all. It IS a somewhat different concept for default behaviors for them to come with a system applied overclock already configured, but are actually somewhat designed to do that. So, if you get a substantially better cooler, you MAY want to enable PBO again if you are looking to regain a little performance at some point.