PC abruptly resets under load (Usually)

May 7, 2018
I am sure this is an age old question on these forums but none the less this is stumping me. For the past one and a half weeks I have been having a problem where my computer resets to a shutoff state while I am playing a game, and reboots completely. Windows says it did not shut down correctly and asks me to boot into safe mode if that give anyone a hint. I first thought it was a CPU overheat issue so I replaced my CPU cooler with a Noctua low profile cooler and now it idles at a cool 33 C. The problem unfortunately still persisted but it seems to have lessened quite a bit. I used to not be able to open the game Squad without it resetting, but I can open it and it will not reset for a long while. I then bought a new power supply thinking something was wrong with my old one, and yet the new PSU had no effect and the problem still persists. I have run windows memory tester as well as Memtest 86 which both give no errors whatsoever. I ran FurMark on my GPU and it ran stable for quite a long time. I also ran Prime95 on my computer and it also ran stable for quite some time. The temperatures for my CPU under 100 percent load never exceeded 72 C, which is quite cool for the model (i7 4790k). I then re installed windows completely and yet the problem still persists, so a corrupt driver or system file is kind of out of the question. Perhaps some sensor on my motherboard is reading a temperature that causes it to reset itself, I have all the temperatures at hand if anyone needs to see them.

Here are my specs,

CPU: i7 4790k

GPU: GTX 980 Ti

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Mobo: MSI Z97S Krait Edition

PSU: Corsair 650MX

Windows 7 64 bit

Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Feb 25, 2018
I had a similar issue but with a Ryzen 7 1700 and Corsair 3200 RAM and am leaning towards a more RAM based issue. I would try to reseat your RAM and test each stick individually in the slots given to you by the mobo manual. Memtest was needed, but it won't always tell you if there is an issue or not. I would really recommend trying a different RAM kit if you have access to it (I ended up borrowing some GSkill from a friend). Though my RAM was new-ish (~6 months old), I ended up finding out they were the problem. I contacted Corsair and did a RMA and since then (~2 months ish) I have had 0 issues.