[SOLVED] PC abruptly turns off then on when in idle or under load.

Feb 17, 2019
This issue has started happening since last Friday. My PC was running flawlessly ever since I installed my new PSU on May 2018. It would shutdown then restart in idle after an hour or two and a bit sooner when browsing the web/watching videos.

Running Aida 64 stress test and stressing the CPU, mem and GPU, the PC would sometimes immediately shut down or run for around 10 minutes then turn off. I removed all OC including turning off xmp mode in the first test. When stressing the system while overclocked the PC would instantly turn off then on again. The more times I stress it the sooner it seems to abruptly shutdown/restart.

I think the psu is faulty or maybe the Mobo. Tried disconnecting/reconnecting all the wires inside the PC and turning the PC on with only 1 ram stick installed at a time. Removed the GPU from the PC too but problem persists when stressing the CPU, FPU, cache and memory (no OC). Cpu and GPU Temps dont seem to go above 70 when stressing with aida64.

Anyway here are the specs:
CPU : i7 8700k
CPU Cooler : Corsair h100i v2
Mobo: ASRock fatality z370 itx
Ram : Corsair vengeance 8gbx2 @ 3000mhz
GPU : Asus strix gtx 1080 A8g
PSU : CORSAIR RM750X (2018)
Storage : Seagate 1tb HDD/Intel 530 250gb/Samsung 850evo 1tb

PS: Power supply was my latest upgrade from a Corsair cs550m which also ran flawlessly for 4 years but I had an inch to upgrade.
Plz help!!!

Solution
Here's another update for those who have the same issue as i do:
After my PC stopped randomly shutting down after a month ago, it started happening again so i went and bought a new psu, the same model i had before (RM750X 2018 model) and so far everything been good, no random shutdowns anymore. I'm still not sure why the problem went away for a brief period of time, so who knows what that was about.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
This issue has started happening since last Friday. My PC was running flawlessly ever since I installed my new PSU on May 2018. It would shutdown then restart in idle after an hour or two and a bit sooner when browsing the web/watching videos.

Running Aida 64 stress test and stressing the CPU, mem and GPU, the PC would sometimes immediately shut down or run for around 10 minutes then turn off. I removed all OC including turning off xmp mode in the first test. When stressing the system while overclocked the PC would instantly turn off then on again. The more times I stress it the sooner it seems to abruptly shutdown/restart.

I think the psu is faulty or maybe the Mobo. Tried disconnecting/reconnecting all the wires inside the PC and turning the PC on with only 1 ram stick installed at a time. Removed the GPU from the PC too but problem persists when stressing the CPU, FPU, cache and memory (no OC). Cpu and GPU Temps dont seem to go above 70 when stressing with aida64.

Anyway here are the specs:
CPU : i7 8700k
CPU Cooler : Corsair h100i v2
Mobo: ASRock fatality z370 itx
Ram : Corsair vengeance 8gbx2 @ 3000mhz
GPU : Asus strix gtx 1080 A8g
PSU : CORSAIR RM750X (2018)
Storage : Seagate 1tb HDD/Intel 530 250gb/Samsung 850evo 1tb

PS: Power supply was my latest upgrade from a Corsair cs550m which also ran flawlessly for 4 years but I had an inch to upgrade.
Plz help!!!
Start with the sticks running memtest86 so you can rule them out (provided they dont fail).

Reactions: Xenmus

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
I'll get right on it! Only problem is that I might not be able to run it for more than an hour.
If it cant run memtest86 then you also get an indication of whats wrong. Memtest86 runs off a bootable USB so if that cant complete...
Dont know if you know the program, but be prepared that it takes 2-3 hours to complete.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
Ok so should I run the windows memory diagnostics tool,? Or do I need to download memtest86?
No, screw the window mem diag.
Just download and run memtest86. It comes with a program that creates a bootable USB drive for you. All you need is a USB drive of basically any sort.
After making that boot drive. Restart the PC with the usb drive/stick plugged in. If it doesnt boot into memtest86 you may have to enter bios and set the boot sequence so that the USB drive is the first boot device.

Feb 17, 2019
If it cant run memtest86 then you also get an indication of whats wrong. Memtest86 runs off a bootable USB so if that cant complete...
Dont know if you know the program, but be prepared that it takes 2-3 hours to complete.
Ok so you don't think it could be a PSU issue? My PC abruptly bootloops the more components I stress. Playing DOOM 2016 casues the pc to shutdown after a few minutes.
Also I'm running the windows memory test ATM in the standard mix, so far pass 1/2, 34% has completed.

Feb 17, 2019
No, screw the window mem diag.
Just download and run memtest86. It comes with a program that creates a bootable USB drive for you. All you need is a USB drive of basically any sort.
After making that boot drive. Restart the PC with the usb drive/stick plugged in. If it doesnt boot into memtest86 you may have to enter bios and set the boot sequence so that the USB drive is the first boot device.
Ok, I'll cancel the windows test and do as you say.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
Ok so you don't think it could be a PSU issue? My PC abruptly bootloops the more components I stress. Playing DOOM 2016 casues the pc to shutdown after a few minutes.
Also I'm running the windows memory test ATM in the standard mix, so far pass 1/2, 34% has completed.
It could be a variety of things. Mem sticks and PSU are prime suspects, but testing the memsticks is fairly easy. So start with that. If the sticks passes memtest86 then try with a different PSU.

Feb 17, 2019
It could be a variety of things. Mem sticks and PSU are prime suspects, but testing the memsticks is fairly easy. So start with that. If the sticks passes memtest86 then try with a different PSU.
Right, I just think it's crazy that Corsair gives the PSU a 10 year warranty and it starts screwing up in less than a year. I'm gonna go and get it replaced tomorrow if the damn computer retailer let's me .

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
It sounds like a PSU problem. The fact that it is rebooting sooner and sooner is what leads me to believe that you browned out your PSU. If it doesn't take you to a blue screen or error report when it shuts down then it is probably your power supply not being able to output enough power. The fact that your PC has an overclock strengthens the faulty PSU theory. I would suggest going and grabbing another PSU (if you have anyone you know with a spare one to test, or just go buy one at a PC parts store and return it if it doesn't solve your problem). Hook everything everything back up to the new PSU and see if it can run the load test. That should be the solution, but it doesn't hurt to test the RAM because it doesn't take long. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Xenmus
Feb 17, 2019
It sounds like a PSU problem. The fact that it is rebooting sooner and sooner is what leads me to believe that you browned out your PSU. If it doesn't take you to a blue screen or error report when it shuts down then it is probably your power supply not being able to output enough power. The fact that your PC has an overclock strengthens the faulty PSU theory. I would suggest going and grabbing another PSU (if you have anyone you know with a spare one to test, or just go buy one at a PC parts store and return it if it doesn't solve your problem). Hook everything everything back up to the new PSU and see if it can run the load test. That should be the solution, but it doesn't hurt to test the RAM because it doesn't take long. Hope this helps.
Yeah I agree, anyway if I browned it out wouldn't it be emitting smoke or smell wierd? And even at full tilt with all components overclocked, the PSU barely starts revving it's fans and only feels slightly warm to the touch, which would mean it's not heating up or anything.
I'm in the process of checking ram and it's been running for 46 mins, I can hopefully get it exchanged with a new one tomorrow since it is still under warranty(never returned anything which pooped its pants within warranty so I wonder how that'll go).

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Yea that is normal. You have probably damaged the PSU over a period of time. So basically what I think is happening is that you have a PSU that has been trying to draw more power than what it is capable of which eventually damaged it to the point where it can only draw minimal wattage, which is enough to boot up your computer but not enough to run anything under a load. So when you put it under load, it draws too much power and shuts off. The reason why it isn't smoking or running super hot is because it isn't able to get up to full power because it is already damaged. It usually okay though, you definitely would rather have not enough power going to your components, rather than too much power and frying all your components. It would also be the reason it is shutting down sooner and sooner every time you try and put it under load, and the fact that it is just rebooting with no blue screen points to the PSU

Feb 17, 2019
Yea that is normal. You have probably damaged the PSU over a period of time. So basically what I think is happening is that you have a PSU that has been trying to draw more power than what it is capable of which eventually damaged it to the point where it can only draw minimal wattage, which is enough to boot up your computer but not enough to run anything under a load. So when you put it under load, it draws too much power and shuts off. The reason why it isn't smoking or running super hot is because it isn't able to get up to full power because it is already damaged. It usually okay though, you definitely would rather have not enough power going to your components, rather than too much power and frying all your components. It would also be the reason it is shutting down sooner and sooner every time you try and put it under load, and the fact that it is just rebooting with no blue screen points to the PSU
Why would a PSU rated for 750 watts be drawing more power than a PC which uses a Max of 375 watts? That load is barely more than half and is around the max efficiency range of the psu. I'm hoping at this point it is the power supply and not something else that is wrong.
Also I checked the voltages on the 3.3,5 and 12 volt rails and seem to be hovering around +/- 1 the normal voltage range which I looks normal.

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
The problem with PSUs is it is kind of like Russian Roulette on weather or not you're going to get a faulty one no matter what brand it is. I just think that it is a faulty unit, Corsair should have a warranty to cover it, especially if it was purchased in 2018. Thats why I think you should borrow a PSU and test it or buy one from a computer store and test it and if doesnt solve your issue, return it and continue to troubleshoot the next component (probably MB).

Feb 17, 2019
Alright I'm back with an update.
PC seems to be running fine again for no apparent reason 🤣

Took the pc to the retailer and the guys there told me to scurry off, they said they were busy come tomorrow.
Didn't turn on my PC yesterday and now I do it and start testing it, oced all the components and put through 1 hour of stress test, so far PC has not shut down.

Right now I am running prime95 26.6 with a CPU overclock on and using AIDA64's GPU stress tester, going to run the test for 6-8 hours and see if randomly turns off.

I have no idea what could have caused it. I'm scared that fact that the PC hasn't turned off uptil now means either the problem fixed itself or it's gonna blow up any second now. Perhaps I just wasn't getting ample power from the extension outlet? Who knows, I will give an update tomorrow.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019
Here's another update for those who have the same issue as i do:
After my PC stopped randomly shutting down after a month ago, it started happening again so i went and bought a new psu, the same model i had before (RM750X 2018 model) and so far everything been good, no random shutdowns anymore. I'm still not sure why the problem went away for a brief period of time, so who knows what that was about.

Solution
Sep 29, 2020
Have the same problem , its happen randomly , some time after few mins some time i use pc all day long and nothing happen , did the psu replacement solved the problem until now? I did tried ram and gpu check. But still have the problem.