Question PC acting up

nbartolo7

Honorable
Sep 4, 2017
Wasn't sure where to post this one. Whether on Windows or Storage or CPU. PC is acting up in a lot of ways. Can't really explain. Some random slowdowns. Performance sometimes feels worse than my older Ryzen 5 2600 (although I can't prove it). File explorer sometimes doesn't move places when I try to move it. I click on it to drag it, and it barely wants to move. As if there was lag, or not responding. Some apps do not respond correctly. This is only in a few instances. It's not always like this. Anyway, some weird and random stuff. Nothing too critical and nothing that I can pinpoint to specifically. PC doesn't shut down randomly and never got the blue screen of death, so at least that. :/

Yeah, not sure where I can start to troubleshoot this. And whether it's an OS problem, or SSD problem, or a CPU problem. Or something else.

FYI: PC is brand-new. Less than a few months old.

Thanks

Last edited:

rakinar2

Commendable
Oct 26, 2021
Wasn't sure where to post this one. Whether on Windows or Storage or CPU. PC is acting up in a lot of ways. Can't really explain. Some random slowdowns. Performance sometimes feels worse than my older Ryzen 5 2600 (although I can't prove it). File explorer sometimes doesn't move places when I try to move it. I click on it to drag it, and it barely wants to move. As if there was lag, or not responding. Some apps do not respond correctly. Anyway, some weird and random stuff. Nothing too critical and nothing that I can pinpoint to specifically. PC doesn't shut down randomly and never got the blue screen of death, so at least that. :/

Yeah, not sure where I can start to troubleshoot this. And whether it's an OS problem, or SSD problem, or a CPU problem. Or something else.

Thanks

What's your CPU temperature while operating? How it looks like in Task Manager? Does it consume too much resources?

Reactions: nbartolo7
Jun 26, 2022
Wasn't sure where to post this one. Whether on Windows or Storage or CPU. PC is acting up in a lot of ways. Can't really explain. Some random slowdowns. Performance sometimes feels worse than my older Ryzen 5 2600 (although I can't prove it). File explorer sometimes doesn't move places when I try to move it. I click on it to drag it, and it barely wants to move. As if there was lag, or not responding. Some apps do not respond correctly. Anyway, some weird and random stuff. Nothing too critical and nothing that I can pinpoint to specifically. PC doesn't shut down randomly and never got the blue screen of death, so at least that. :/

Thanks
I had similar experiences.. I turn off PC open case and test all the wire connections by pulling and pushing the connectors all over.. Sometimes the hard drive is not properly mounted inthe bay and is disheveling .. Yours is SSD so it may not be the problem Still make sure that your SSD drive is properly mounted . Check for coolingfans to make sure they are running . Most PC problems stem from loose connections like usb for mice or keyboard . overheating due to poor cooling, your modem may be overheating. Check your modem to makesure it is well ventilated with ntohing leaning against it likeyour books or envelopes that block passive air flow thorugh the vent slots of your modem. I place my modem on it side to improve air flow as heated air rise from bottom side to top side. you can add a fan somewho to keep your modem cool.
if you have only one fan in your PC for CPU then chances is that you will need at least two more cooiling fans.. Tehre is extra power outlets for cooling fans.. use your flashlight to identify the power outlets onthe motherobard for additional fans that you can buy online. Your pwer supply comes with own cooling fan onthe bottom. maybe your CPU is already clogged with dust in the heat sink that you will need to reomve the fan off the heat sink with a small Phillips screwdriver and brush the dust off the ribs of the heat sink thenreplacing the cooling fan on. dont remove your CPU using the snap lever.. Leave it alone.
If your case is surrounding by books leaning on it or any piece of junk like magazines, boxes that blocks air ciruclatioin, thenclear them away at least six inches ..
you can get a disposable paint brush one inch wide at hardware. andtape the metal bristle strap with masking tape over several layers to prevent any accidntal short circuit against mother board as you sweep dust off all stuff like RAM, PCI slots drive bays bottom of case Dust can make PC overheat .
Some houses are dusty and PCs are dust magnets.. Brush off the cooling fan blades of dust too.
there ismany details to check
Then turnon PC again. chaneces is that you will fix it.
This is the common problem! It ishard to clean laptops as they are ery brittle whentaken apart toclean! CPU in laptops has fan cooling ducts that is very constricted anddifficult to clean dust off. the cooling fan of the CPU in laptiops are often clogged withdust that can stop the fan from spining.

Reactions: nbartolo7