Question PC all of a sudden unable to play games

Sep 22, 2020
PC specs:
  • Ryzen 5 3rd Gen 3600 (3.60GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6GB
  • 16GB DDR4
  • TEAMGROUP GX2 512GB SSD
Hey everybody so I very recently bought a prebuilt (specs above) and had a blast with it the last 3 months till very recently when it decided not to work properly anymore.

Now with the preamble out of the way here is the timeline. Gaming consistently over the last three months with no issues whatsoever, go to work one night then upon loading up the next day I am met with a BSoD and the kernel_security_check_failure error message. Computer reloads and nothing seems to be different. I look around about what the error message means and use the windows memory diagnostic tool to check for memory errors and do a virus check. Neither reveal any issues.

So I move on and attempt to load up another game and am met with another BSoD and a new error message, this time it's irql_not_less_or_equal. So I do the same as last time and look up the error message and attempt all the checks my basic google searches suggest and still no changes.

The position I now find myself in is that my PC runs and can still be used for web browsing and basic things but as soon as I attempt to load up a game the game either infinitely loads or just crashes before it starts. I went from being able to load up a game in a minute or so to not being able to load a game period. And as a new convert to PC I don't even know where to begin to fix it. So I turn now to you in hopes that you can help me back into the sun. Thanks in advance for any advice any of you can give.

(Can get benchmark and any additional info as soon as I get home)

Last edited: