Question PC always freezes for a second while gaming

Jan 24, 2020
Hi all! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this as I'm not sure what exactly is the issue. When i play games like dead by daylight or CS:Go, sometimes i get these short moments where the pc hangs for like 2 to 3 seconds before allowing me to continue without any issues. It happens maybe like once or twice every hour. I can't seem to find the problem though. I have a relatively new gaming laptop and this shouldn't happen, no?

I've done a ETW trace but i have no idea how to read it? Can anyone help me please?

Here are the files to my ETW traces - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r72swyesd3vysnx/AADEl0o39z8yV_HbKfQKicL3a?dl=0

Which laptop is it?

Did you check the temperatures while this is happening?
Does the CPU/GPU throttle in this situations?

Update the BIOS of the laptop
update the drivers only fro the laptops´s manufacturer site, don´t use other GPU drivers like from nvidia.com or amd.com.

check the RAM by the usb autoinstaller from memtest.org (test overnight)

check the hard drives with its manufacturer´s tools, if available, update the firmware of these

Jan 24, 2020
Which laptop is it?

Did you check the temperatures while this is happening?
Does the CPU/GPU throttle in this situations?

Update the BIOS of the laptop
update the drivers only fro the laptops´s manufacturer site, don´t use other GPU drivers like from nvidia.com or amd.com.

check the RAM by the usb autoinstaller from memtest.org (test overnight)

check the hard drives with its manufacturer´s tools, if available, update the firmware of these
It's an aftershock laptop. You may not have heard of the brand though - https://www.aftershockpc.com/

Uses the clevo chassis from what i read.

I'm running a Seagate Firecuda, went on their website and it says there is no firmware to be updated.

My CPU runs at a constant 93 to 95 degrees celsius - i7-9750H processor
and my GPU is at 75. What does it mean by CPU/GPU throttling? How can i tell ?

Funny thing is i don't encounter this issue when playing overwatch though.

Maybe your internet connection is not that stable or the servers of the specific games.

Are you connected via wi-fi or ethernet cable to the router? Is anyone else using the internet while you are playing?

check the router log for errors at the time you have freezes

Jan 24, 2020
Maybe your laptop CPU is throttling? Have you tried installing ThrottleStop and undervolting the cpu? You should be able to undervolt by 0.100-0.150v. Also enabling SpeedShift and disabling SpeedStep (both in BIOS and in ThrottleStop) and setting the SpeedShift value to 0 could help. And since it's a laptop, the insufficient cooling can't hold the max boost frequency for long anyways before hitting TDP limits and thermal throttling, so you might as well lower your boost on all cores and get lower temps as well as more stable FPS.

Jan 24, 2020
Maybe your laptop CPU is throttling? Have you tried installing ThrottleStop and undervolting the cpu? You should be able to undervolt by 0.100-0.150v. Also enabling SpeedShift and disabling SpeedStep (both in BIOS and in ThrottleStop) and setting the SpeedShift value to 0 could help. And since it's a laptop, the insufficient cooling can't hold the max boost frequency for long anyways before hitting TDP limits and thermal throttling, so you might as well lower your boost on all cores and get lower temps as well as more stable FPS.

Alright kewl! I just undervolted the laptop. imma monitor and see if i encounter the same issues again. Thank you! Will post an update maybe in a day or 2

Jan 24, 2020
Maybe your internet connection is not that stable or the servers of the specific games.

Are you connected via wi-fi or ethernet cable to the router? Is anyone else using the internet while you are playing?

check the router log for errors at the time you have freezes
I am connected via wifi but it doesn't feel or act like a network lag. more of like the whole system couldn't react.