[SOLVED] PC always restarts immediately after shutdown. Kernel 41 (63) error shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2021
I just built a new PC, it has a Ryzen 5 3600, an MSI Gaming Z Trio RTX 3080, a Corsair 1200w PSU Platinum and 16GB of 3200mhz Ram. Ive been running this PC for a week now and havent faced any problems, haven't overclocked anything at all.

I mainly game on this PC and when it's idle I mine crypto. Recently, I tried shutting down my PC and it goes through the whole cycle properly. As soon as it shuts down, it kicks back and boots up again instantly and takes me back to the lock screen. The PC now has been running for 2 consecutive days without being able to shut it down unless I directly switch off the PSU.

I've checked the event viewer and found multiple Kernel-Power 41 (63) critical errors.

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 8

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2021-09-17T19:03:41.2525223Z

EventRecordID 414

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer DESKTOP-U7BU75J

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 1
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false

This is really frustrating and I would greatly appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Solution
41 (63) is the result of a report run at startup. If windows finds previous shutdown wasn't right, it creates the event

So how many have you had? Any showing in time PC won't shutdown as that wouldn't make any sense if they did.

what are full specs? what motherbaord?

does it happen if you shutdown from safe mode?
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
not sure its windows doing it, if fast startup off it sort of can't...

Colif

Win 11 Master
41 (63) is the result of a report run at startup. If windows finds previous shutdown wasn't right, it creates the event

So how many have you had? Any showing in time PC won't shutdown as that wouldn't make any sense if they did.

4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
not sure its windows doing it, if fast startup off it sort of can't.
So Motherbaord is doing it somehow

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1

Solution
Sep 19, 2021

4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
not sure its windows doing it, if fast startup off it sort of can't.
So Motherbaord is doing it somehow

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1

• Windows version is the latest (21H1)
  • Motherboard is a Gigabyte B550 Gaming X V2 AM4
  • I'm using a Deep Cool AIO cooler
  • A 256 GB (windows installed) M.2 nvme
  • A 1tb gigabyte M.2 nvme
I tried your method for booting in safe mode, as soon as I hit restart the screen goes black, the machine shuts down and restarts immediately, similar to when I try to shut down through windows. It doesn't reboot in safe mode for some reason. Didn't get a Kernel-Power error this time though.

Have you tried an sfc/ scannow command in an ADMIN command prompt? Could be corrupted windows startup causing the issue. More of a long shot but worth trying. If that command finds corruption do these commands in this order as well;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Sep 19, 2021
Have you tried an sfc/ scannow command in an ADMIN command prompt? Could be corrupted windows startup causing the issue. More of a long shot but worth trying. If that command finds corruption do these commands in this order as well;
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Those commands didn't detect any corruption.

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, this isn't an answer but i am curious.

when its turned off, and hasn't come back on yet, flick switch on back of PSU.

unplug pc for a while, and then plug back in. Does it auto start? (obviously turn psu switch back on)

I don't know what this proves but since you have fast startup off, there shouldn't be a way for windows to be restarting, so makes me wonder if its hardware.

wake on sleep things shouldn't do it if PC is actually off

I don't know if booting off an Ubuntu USB and restarting would prove anything
you can use boot override menu in save & exit screen in bios to boot from USB without changing boot order

Reactions: helper800
Sep 19, 2021
okay, this isn't an answer but i am curious.

when its turned off, and hasn't come back on yet, flick switch on back of PSU.

unplug pc for a while, and then plug back in. Does it auto start? (obviously turn psu switch back on)

I don't know what this proves but since you have fast startup off, there shouldn't be a way for windows to be restarting, so makes me wonder if its hardware.

wake on sleep things shouldn't do it if PC is actually off

I don't know if booting off an Ubuntu USB and restarting would prove anything
you can use boot override menu in save & exit screen in bios to boot from USB without changing boot order

Nope, doesn't autostart after that. I feel like it's a hardware issue. Isn't there a way to pinpoint the cause? Maybe examining a log file or something like that?

Please help, I’m still facing this problem and it’s frustrating.
The only thing that even comes to mind immediately is that you can try turning off Win10 updates or the PSU is faulty. I know its a Corsair but it occasionally happens even to the best companies products. I would try swapping in a know good one. If that does not do it There are a couple other things to try. You should disconnect all drives except the OS drive. You should make sure that all the PSU cables are firmly placed on the back of the PSU as well, and/or reconnect them (specifically the back of the PSU and the 20+4-pin and the 8-pin CPU connector). You can breadboard the computer to make sure there are no shorts from the case or related fans. You can try checking for bent CPU-pins. If after all this and nobody else comes up with anything I would assume its the motherboard at fault, because that is usually the culprit in builds after you exclude everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.