PC and Thunderstorms

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hi!

Recently, my computer feel victim of a sudden, nearby lightning strike. I thought i'd lost everything!
The strike sounded so strong the light bulb in the bathroom popped. Afterwards the PC wouldn't
turn on but my no-break appeared to unaffected by it. anyway, at the end of it i was lucky
and found out that my PSU took all the damage and fried in the process. No other hardware was compromised. So i was suggested to get a lightning rod installed and i should be okay...

But i worry... I've seen on YouTube how devastating can lightning strikes be so i find it hard to
believe this device or whatever it is can guard my PC...

Logically i thought that maybe it could be fine on weak thunderstorms and i wouldn't need
to turn off everything but i know little about this rod.

So, can anyone tell me HOW MUCH safety can a lightning rod provide to my PC? i don't care if it
fries everything else in my house as long as my PC is fine.

Thanks and, sorry if it's a rookie-like question..

IF the Lightning Rod is properly grounded AND your home wiring is done correctly and properly grounded and you've got a good power strip / surge suppressor....

IF... you should be fine. Best advice, T-bangers = PC off and unplugged...

Any half decent $20 surge protector will go a very long way towards preventing the excess voltage from entering your PC.
Any one of those semi decent ones even include a warranty payout if something is damaged, and thus as long as you have a backup of the data LIKE YOU SHOULD then there is nothing to worry about.

Naturally you can get a UPS to protect it further and not have sudden loss of power and thus allow the PC to properly shut down.

Your lighting rod idea will only go so far because if the lightening strikes the transformer a block away from your house then you can get near the same exact amount of surge on your electrical system as if it stuck your house.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
I'll check into it. Worse case scenario it'll give me peace of mind but hopefully if done properly i can stay with the PC on during weak thunderstorms... We'll see. Thanks for the help.