Question PC appears to be receiving no power after cable mix-up, possible short ?

May 1, 2022
I've been putting together a new build. I had managed to POST several times, including after everything was installed in the case. While plugging in loose cables I accidently connected a Corsair iCUE Lighting Node PRO Controller 3-pin cable into my motherboard's chassis fan port instead of its LED header. After that The motherboard is showing no signs of receiving any power (the LED logo on the MB no longer lights up when I power on the PSU). I have attempted to reseat every cable in the MB and modular PSU to no avail. I have confirmed the the GPU is still working in another machine. Does anyone have any idea if mixing up those two connections would be enough to kill the MB/PSU?

Appreciate any guesses.

Specs:

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR5 32GB (2x16GB)
Corsair RMX Series, RM850x
Intel Core i7-12700K
Zotac RTX3070 Twin Edge OC
Samsung 980 Pro M.2

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

productimg

Is this the controller you're referring to? If so, which 3pin connector did you plug into the motherboard? If you got the polarity wrong on the connector and the header, it's very likely you caused the board to fizzle out.

Adding images of the header of the motherboard and the controller connector would help add more meat to this story.

Reactions: pmath
May 1, 2022
Thanks for the response

Here is the culprit. I plugged it in to the 4 prong CHA_FAN header with the locking tabs aligned similar to how you would a non PWM fan into a 4 prong fan header that supports PWM.

FDLLOv7.jpg
3Jq8B2b.jpg

May 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

productimg

Is this the controller you're referring to? If so, which 3pin connector did you plug into the motherboard? If you got the polarity wrong on the connector and the header, it's very likely you caused the board to fizzle out.

Adding images of the header of the motherboard and the controller connector would help add more meat to this story.
Also yes, that is the controller. It wasn't plugged into any fans at the time, but it was connected to the USB header on the MB as well as the CHA_Fan header.

May 1, 2022
After looking at a few videos and the manual my best guess is that the 3 pin connected is for chaining that hub to a larger Corsair fan/RGB hubs. Plugging it into the motherboard might have given it a jolt straight from the SATA connection.