[SOLVED] PC audio cutting in and out

Wilson88

Reputable
Sep 4, 2020
I’ve been having problems with sound cutting in and out on my games (especially Destiny 2) and it’s driving me insane. Today I think I found out what’s been causing it. Sometimes (I think) my Xbox controllers audio port is being detected and it’s trying to switch to it causing sound to cut out. When it cuts out, I tabbed to my Device Manager and evening though I am not using a headset at all, this shows up for a second or so and then disappears. My controller is connected wirelessly via the Official Xbox wireless adapter. I still can’t get it to stop the sound cutting in and out though, any ideas or solutions please?

4-EF0-BB49-5-AE0-4-B4-A-89-FA-31-E4-A822-E13-E.jpg

Solution
I would try just disabling the Xbox controller audio device. First check in Windows Sound Panel to make sure it's disabled as a device there. You may not need to disable it in Device Manager, but if the first step doesn't work, try disabling it there. To disable a sound device in device manager you simply right click on the device, and the second option down on the list that opens should be to disable it.

I'm thinking if you tried to uninstall it as a sound device windows would just reinstall it once the controller is plugged in and detected. Note that it may also be possible to disable the microphone option in some games (or any option related to it, such as push to talk), which could work as well. If you're not going to be using the...
I would try just disabling the Xbox controller audio device. First check in Windows Sound Panel to make sure it's disabled as a device there. You may not need to disable it in Device Manager, but if the first step doesn't work, try disabling it there. To disable a sound device in device manager you simply right click on the device, and the second option down on the list that opens should be to disable it.

I'm thinking if you tried to uninstall it as a sound device windows would just reinstall it once the controller is plugged in and detected. Note that it may also be possible to disable the microphone option in some games (or any option related to it, such as push to talk), which could work as well. If you're not going to be using the controller as a sound device at all though, just disable it as one.

Last edited:
Solution