pc audio help

Theodwros Tenizis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
hello everyone. i have a problem about pc audio . i am looking for some powerfull system 5.1 for my pc and i dont know what to get. i currently have on my mind the edifier s550 or something like lg-bh 7440p which i can connect it throw optical . if anyone knows and can help i would appreciate.my price is max 500 dollars. i will be using it mostly for gaming and movies rarely for music but i would like a crystal sound with a powerfull subwoofer . thanks

Solution
the LG set you mentioned is a HTIB (home theater in a box) and you really need to be careful there. the vast majority of "cheaper" sets are very limited on what type of inputs they can take (some only have rca or 3.5mm input) and in many cases may not offer 5.1 sound from sources other than the included blueray player despite having hdmi or optical inputs. also such sets are typically rather cheaply built in terms of construction. while HTIB units can certainly fill a role like you require you really need to check the inputs and capabilities before purchasing one.

the edifier s550 set is rated even more highly than the old z5500 from logitech in terms of sound quality however it will require your system to have a soundcard with 5.1...
the LG set you mentioned is a HTIB (home theater in a box) and you really need to be careful there. the vast majority of "cheaper" sets are very limited on what type of inputs they can take (some only have rca or 3.5mm input) and in many cases may not offer 5.1 sound from sources other than the included blueray player despite having hdmi or optical inputs. also such sets are typically rather cheaply built in terms of construction. while HTIB units can certainly fill a role like you require you really need to check the inputs and capabilities before purchasing one.

the edifier s550 set is rated even more highly than the old z5500 from logitech in terms of sound quality however it will require your system to have a soundcard with 5.1 support and will require adapter cables to go from 3.5mm to 2x rca (need three such cables) to make it work in 5.1 which is not hard to set up and will certainly work. however what i am not sure about is price. if it is anywhere close to the z5500/z906 on price or higher it is worth looking at the hifi speaker market instead. another thing to keep in mind is that the s550 is discontinued which will make it hard to get and the cost may have skyrocketed due to demand.

one thing i would suggest looking at is the energy 5.1 take classic set which goes for $300 (or the monoprice 10565 which is basically an unbranded version of this which is $220) and pairing it with a cheap 5.1 receiver in the $100-200 range. sound quality will be better than that of the z5500/z906 (not sure about edifier, but i would definitely say most likely an improvement over that as well). for the price they are one of the most recommended and best choices and will launch you into the (albeit the very tip of the iceburg and cheaper end of the spectrum) hifi/home theater market.

--

i myself am using a receiver paired up with a 5.1 home theater speaker set. while i spent quite a bit more than the set i listed above, the difference from pc speakers is certainly night vs day and i highly suggest it.

your choice, just throwing out options.

Solution

Theodwros Tenizis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
Hey thanks for answering. my sound card can support up to 7.1 but i do not need a 7.1 for now thats why i am looking for 5.1 . The problem is that the edifier is a very good sound system that i can easily find in my country from unsold stocks in some stores and i know that i am going to be very happy with it but as i mentioned on my question i love loudness . And we talk about almost 700watt difference between those two (s550 and 7440p). I think i am going with the LG because of the wattage difference and if i am not happy with the subwoofer i may be able to change it with something else in the future. Thanks for your help! :)

Theodwros Tenizis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2014
i know that wattage does not equal quality but its a risk i have to take i think because i cannot find it anywhere that i can listen to . on the sound decoding it says these things : DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital+, Dolby True HD, LPCM. Can we know from these things here if it will sound good?