Question PC audio overheating mini amp? Lepai 2020A+

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
Ok, not 100% sure overheating is the issue. But I've almost never NOT had audio issues with my desktop audio set up. I'll be the first to admit that my situation is a bit complicated, so here goes...

TLDR version - PC audio to my Lepai 2020A+ amp used to run fine, but now it either "pops" and the audio cuts out entirely, or it will "pop" back and forth repeatedly. When it cut's out entirely, the amp feels very warm, but often the back-and-forth poping will happen seemingly randomly and unrelated to how long the unit has been running.

Ok, here's the way more detailed explanation:

I basically need to run 2 different audio sources to my speakers - my PC audio and audio from my record player. Since I do video editing as my job, it seemed like getting a pair of JBL LSR305 powered speakers was a good recommendation when I bought them a number of years ago... however, it was a choice that has only given me headache because I've never found a great way to connect them to my other components.

I've also had irritating electronic interference in the signal for the longest time - some kind of low high-pitched "squelching" as the computer did processes. Toyed with just hooking up PC audio directly to speakers and also various ways of being able to switch between turntable and PC sources. Was never happy with my setup, as far as the PC audio was concerned, but the turntable audio generally sounds great. I also like having some EQ control, Treble and Bass is fine, as I like to tweek my listening experience...

So here's my set up as of now (which worked fine for about 5 months) - PC audio going out via optical Toslink to a Linkfor DAC (it's cheap I know, but mostly got rid of the electrical interference) - RCA out from the DAC to a cheap RadioShack 3-to-1 RCA switcher (it's also not great, but also not a complicated piece of equipment) - turntable also feeds into this RCA switcher - RCA out from the switcher to a Lepai 2020A+ (again, cheap but a bargain-hunter fav), bare-wire to 1/4" cable to the JBL powered speakers. Suddenly about a month ago the audio stopped working. I've tried various ways to trouble shoot, and can't seem to figure it out.

It's kind of a mess, and I suspect the issue might be somewhere between the amp and the powered speakers, since this is a bit redundant (then again less work for the amp?). Also I just built a new PC, which helped rule out there being something wrong with the motherboard's audio, since I'm now having the same issue with the new PC. Incidently, it seems like the DAC has totally crapped out (now only produces super-thin tinny audio at a very low volume now), so I removed it from the system, and now go 1/8" out of the PC split to RCA. This is where the possible "overheating" "poping" has now become the issue.

Help?

D

Deleted member 14196

You hook the DAC preamp out to the powered speakers. Schiit Fulla has that capability as do other DAC/Amps

nickbeef

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2015
You hook the DAC preamp out to the powered speakers.

Yes, I get that. But I have a couple audio streams that I want to go to the speakers - both my PC audio and my turntable. On top of that, I like the "bass" "treble" adjustments on the Lepai. Lastly, my dac doesn't really seem to have a pre-amp, I don't think, just attenuation. No biggie on the last one, since the speakers themselves are powered.

TRENDING THREADS