PC audio will only come through Xbox One dongle, not speakers

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
A few days ago, I stopped getting audio via my plugged-in pc headphones, but the audio will come through my Xbox One dongle via wireless controller and headset.

I'm a new pc gamer, having primarily played on the Xbox for the last 10 years, so I bought the wireless dongle so that I could comfortably play Fortnite, Overwatch, etc on the pc with my Xbox One controller. Everything was working fine for a couple weeks, so not even sure the issue is with the controller and dongle. I could stop gaming, go to Netflix, and hear audio on my plugged in stereo headset, switch back and game with full audio via the dongle/controller+headset. Until a few days ago. Now, I can't get audio to come out my plugged in headset, even when my controller is off.

I've Googled a couple hours and can't find anything, ideas?

My operating system is Windows 10.

Edit: My headset works on my other pc, and when my controller is off, the pc volume settings are bouncing around like the audio is coming through. I tried unplugging the dongle and resetting my pc.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
Go into Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices and make sure that the correct sound device is enabled and ticked. If you have done this and still have an issue let us know.

jay.wooster

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
So your headphones are via the Optical Jack into the PC or the XBOX ? I use headphones via the Optical Jack on my PC and also use a wireless XBOX one controller and dongle however the two are not related unless you have your headphones plugged in through your XBOX.

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I have two sets of headphones:

My regular set is connected via the headphones out jack. My other set is plugged into my wireless Xbox One controller, that communicates to the pc via the wireless usb dongle.

I've never had to disable anything to switch back and forth between them so far.

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Yeah, it's oldschool, I guess. But I have it running into a dock for a nice wireless headset.

I changed Speakers to default device, and my speaker jack headphones are working again, but as soon as I plug in the controller it swaps to Xbox Controller default audio. And NOW, when I use Windows 10 Game DVR my games have no audio in the video :/