Question PC automatically reboots when launching game for 2nd time. Never reboot after Windows fresh start.

Sep 2, 2020
Hello to all,

I am facing an odd problem with Windows rebooting in certain conditions only.

1- When launching a game after a fresh start of Windows, PC will run normally and never reboot.
I can play 2, 6, 8 hours straight without any problem. GPU / PSU will run smoothly and provide full performance.

2.1- However, when launching a game for the 2nd time or after watching a video (Youtube, VLC...), PC will reboot in about 2/3 of cases while on the game menu.
If by chance it does not reboot during the game menu, it will NEVER reboot while gaming.

2.2 PC will randomly reboot when watching Youtube videos in full screen but never in minimised screen.
Sometimes reboots in Google Street view.
This is unrelated to whether Windows has just been started or not.

Thus it seems the problem occurs when suddenly asking GPU / PSU for more power.

I have searched on many forums. While many people have random reboots, I have not found anyone who has this pattern.
I am not sure this is a hardware problem, because both PSU / GPU works perfectly + no reboot while in game.

Here are my specs:
Windows 10 ver. 1909
PC model: Dell XPS 8700
CPU: i7-4770 3.4GHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti
Motherboard: Dell 0KWVT8
PSU: Corsair CX650W 80+ bronze

What I have done:
  • Updated GPU driver
  • Updated BIOS driver
  • Cleaned PC for dust
-Checked Windows system log. Details say: Error 6008 unexpected shutdown. (no joke...).

What I am considering:
-Fresh reinstall of Windows 10
-Return GPU/PSU to vendor (still under guarantee) and see if problem is solved with a new one.
-Send PC for repair.

Any idea of what might cause this problem?
Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 2, 2020
Thank you for the reply.
  1. I upgraded my GPU from 1050TI to 1660TI, and PSU from original build to 650W at the same time.

2. I used Nvidia Experience to update the GPU driver. I will try to do a clean reinstall.
  3. Are there specific settings I should be looking at in BIOS?
Best,

Thank you for the reply.
  1. I upgraded my GPU from 1050TI to 1660TI, and PSU from original build to 650W at the same time.

2. I used Nvidia Experience to update the GPU driver. I will try to do a clean reinstall.
  3. Are there specific settings I should be looking at in BIOS?
Best,
Since this is a prebuilt i am not familiar with how Dell has set up the BIOS. Prebuilds can have various settings removed or disabled. That is why upgrading them can sometimes be tricky, they don't make it easy for you.