[SOLVED] Pc automatically restarted

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So today when i was using my pc (i was watching a youtube video) my pc just turned off and then turned on. It basically restarted automatically for no reason can anyone explain why this happend please

Solution
The power fluctuation being your entire residence - not just the computer or a particular room or rooms. Correct?

If so, I would not do anything else until there is a more definitive and repetitive pattern of problems.

Exception being to be sure to back up all important data and verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

And that 450 watt PSU - make, model, age, condition?

PSU could be nearing EOL (End of life) and no longer able to consistently meet the system power demands.

Ralston18

Titan
Hardware, software, power glitch,...

Gremlins perhaps - who knows.

Such things happen from time to time. The big problem is the "timing" - if in the middle of a backup or update then files could be corrupted and or lost.

That is another good reason to always be doing backups.

To be a bit more helpful, look in Reliability History. The log may have captured some error code or warning related to the lost of power.

Event Viewer can be used in much the same way. Event Viewer is not as user friendly and does not present as clear a timeline of events.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Hardware, software, power glitch,...

Gremlins perhaps - who knows.

Such things happen from time to time. The big problem is the "timing" - if in the middle of a backup or update then files could be corrupted and or lost.

That is another good reason to always be doing backups.

To be a bit more helpful, look in Reliability History. The log may have captured some error code or warning related to the lost of power.

Event Viewer can be used in much the same way. Event Viewer is not as user friendly and does not present as clear a timeline of events.
I used event viewer and it said Event id 41 the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
I was just watching a youtube video and then pc turns off and turns on again automatically. I did some research and I went to advanced system settings and startup and recovery and turned off automatically restart.

Ralston18

Titan
Meaning the "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required ...." option?

Reference - see the 5th black window in the following link:

https://www.guidingtech.com/disable-automatic-reboot-windows-10/

Did not think of that.

Hopefully turning off the ASAP restart option will fix the problem.

You may also want to turn on "Update notifications" if not turned on.

However, I believe that that Event Id 41 seems out of place.

Look in Windows Update History and Reliability History for any update related log entries that correspond with the original restart time and date.

With an older system as mentioned by @rgd1101 do three things:

1) Keep your backups up to date.

2) Keep an eye on the error logs.

3) Make a note of the system hardware specs - may be needed.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
Meaning the "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required ...." option?

Reference - see the 5th black window in the following link:

https://www.guidingtech.com/disable-automatic-reboot-windows-10/

Did not think of that.

Hopefully turning off the ASAP restart option will fix the problem.

You may also want to turn on "Update notifications" if not turned on.

However, I believe that that Event Id 41 seems out of place.

Look in Windows Update History and Reliability History for any update related log entries that correspond with the original restart time and date.

With an older system as mentioned by @rgd1101 do three things:

1) Keep your backups up to date.

2) Keep an eye on the error logs.

3) Make a note of the system hardware specs - may be needed.
No i'm using windows 7 i'm talking about this option
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in...restarts-problem-when-windows-7-experiences-a
my pc only restarted once btw.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

Ralston18

Titan
The power fluctuation being your entire residence - not just the computer or a particular room or rooms. Correct?

If so, I would not do anything else until there is a more definitive and repetitive pattern of problems.

Exception being to be sure to back up all important data and verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

And that 450 watt PSU - make, model, age, condition?

PSU could be nearing EOL (End of life) and no longer able to consistently meet the system power demands.

Solution