Question PC-based NVR vs stand-alone type?

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Hi all.

I already have the cameras - SimCam Alloy 1S models, which appear to work really well - and currently use their supplied phone App which also works well most of the time, but I'm frustrated by the small phone screen size, and it's also occasionally glitchy (like claiming 'no records', which is always alarming, until you log out and back in and there they are...)

So, I'm looking at using these same cameras (they have AI detection, and other such features) with either a PC-based NVR (preferred, as I already have the equipment, large screen, etc) or going 'stand-alone' NVR.

Are there any obvious pros or cons for going for either?

If PC-based is just as good, what are folk's recommendations? 'Blue Iris' seems to be mentioned a lot. SimCam also might be affiliated with 'Synology' (they certainly provide setup info for it) - could anyone suggest how they compare, please?

(The SimCam Alloy 1S seems to have all the usual features - WiFi, rtsp, IP, and lost of other letters that mean nothing to me, so I imagine it's compactible with pretty much anything?)

Many thanks.

Frooby

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks USAFRet.

Synology is 'online', then, and not a downloadable system?

I've just been told by SimShine that their Alloy 1S does not support ONVIF - does that affect anything in this discussion?

Cheers.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks USAFRet.

Synology is 'online', then, and not a downloadable system?

I've just been told by SimShine that their Alloy 1S does not support ONVIF - does that affect anything in this discussion?

Cheers.
A Synology is a whole NAS. Not just the software.
It is the hardware and its own OS.

I bought my Reolinks because they were known to be supported with my already existing QNAP NAS.
And it works VERY well.

No idea about that particular SinShine camera thing.
I recommend to discover and use whatever they recommend.

Reactions: Frooby