Question PC became unreponsive

grizly

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Hi,
A few days ago my pc went into hibernate mode and when i tried getting out of it, i couldn't (the screen stayed black). So i restarted it, but then it got stuck on the 'starting windows' screen for a really long time, so i restarted again. The same thing happened again so left it like that for a few hours.

When i came back, the pc was on the desktop screen, but when i tried using the internet, and later other things too, there was a huge delay and everything stopped responding evnetually. So i tried (through 'windows repair') hard disk repair and later my earliest retore point, but both didnt change anything.

Also starting the pc on safe mode takes suuuper long, just like starting it normally (more than 30 mins).

Only thing that works properly and normally is the bios. In the bios menu the pc is fast and responsive as usual.

Any ideas what could be the problem? or how to check what's wrong?

Thanks!

Is this a spinning drive? Those sorts of symptoms could be a failing drive, or merely some corruption, assuming your drive is not 99% full, of course. (Check out CrystalDiskInfo to see if you have any pending failed/ reallocated sectors, or drive health in anything other than good/'Blue' status, etc..)
If it is a conventional spinning drive in a laptop, now you have the excuse you've been wanting for a new Crucial MX500, in desired 500 GB or 1 TB variations...

If the system is even semi-usable, I'd get any files you might need safely extricated to some other location (external drive or cloud storage) ASAP, as some failing drives go from dismally slow to totally unbootable /dead doorstop in short order....

Last edited:

grizly

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Is this a spinning drive? Those sorts of symptoms could be a failing drive, or merely some corruption, assuming your drive is not 99% full, of course. (Check out CrystalDiskInfo to see if you have any pending failed/ reallocated sectors, or drive health in anything other than good/'Blue' status, etc..)
If it is a conventional spinning drive in a laptop, now you have the excuse you've been wanting for a new Crucial MX500, in desired 500 GB or 1 TB variations...

If the system is even semi-usable, I'd get any files you might need safely extricated to some other location (external drive or cloud storage) ASAP, as some failing drives go from dismally slow to totally unbootable /dead doorstop in short order....

Thanks for replying.
I am using a pc, not a laptop. I dont know what a spinning hard drive is, but i can tell you i have a 1TB western digital hard drive from 7 ago..
So are you sure the HDD is the problem?