Question PC beeping a lot... broken..?

Mar 2, 2019
I turn on my computer, it beeps for a while then continues to boot. Once it starts to boot to a hard drive, it stops and beep again, then restarts this process. What is wrong?

Mar 2, 2019
I have an old system, with Intel Pentium Dual Core at 2.2GHz, Big Ant ATX-S350, 2GB of DDR2 Kingston RAM at 800MHz, and an old Nvidia 64mb graphics card I am unsure of the model. It was working when I tried it on Windows 10, but booting to Windows XP or Windows 7, it fails.

I have an old system, with Intel Pentium Dual Core at 2.2GHz, Big Ant ATX-S350, 2GB of DDR2 Kingston RAM at 800MHz, and an old Nvidia 64mb graphics card I am unsure of the model. It was working when I tried it on Windows 10, but booting to Windows XP or Windows 7, it fails.

How did you install Windows XP and Windows 7 after Windows 10? If you didn't get the drive completely clean it could be picking up dregs of the old OS. If you're attempting a dual boot that's not something that's well answered in a hardware forum.

Also: are you sure your processor is compatible with older MS OS's. I know Ryzen processors aren't and it's difficult getting them installed as a result. If you have a UEFI BIOS on the board you might try compatibility mode.

Other than those: you might try counting the beeps at start up and finding the beep code interpretation for your BIOS. It will be a pattern of long and short beeps, count every one.

Mar 2, 2019
I have the OS' on different HDD's, and it starts with 5 long, high beeps and then is lots of really fast, low beeps, then repeats twice. The processor I migrated over from an old system running XP. The beep codes show as CPU thermal tripping, even though I just installed a new heatsink.

I have the OS' on different HDD's, and it starts with 5 long, high beeps and then is lots of really fast, low beeps, then repeats twice. The processor I migrated over from an old system running XP. The beep codes show as CPU thermal tripping, even though I just installed a new heatsink.

If you just installed a new heatsink then it may not be properly seated on the CPU...with inadequate or excessive TIM even.

Other than that...I'd definitely go to a Windows forum to get help with dual boot configurations. I don't believe simply installing OS's to different drives is sufficient anymore, especially when Windows10 is involved.