Question PC Behaving VERY weirdly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 21, 2019
Hey everyone, my PC is behaving very weirdly, noticed it about 2 hours ago
I was playing when i got some frame drop, noticed my antivirus (Kaspersky) had 2 icons on the taskbar greyed out, as it is when it's starting.
Hovering the mouse on them would make them disappear, i tried starting it again, ordered a full scan, it did it but stuck at 33% and froze, then it crashed, doing the same thing again, i tried starting it up but it crashed, it wouldn't start anymore, and the icon would say it's stuck on 33%. The disk usage was at 100% all the time, used by it, i uninstalled it, and after about 10-20 minutes it uninstalled and defender took over.
I rebooted, re-installed it, and no issues, however playing a video on YT is giving me the "if playback doesn't start soon, restart your device" error, i canceled the full scan the antivirus was doing after i installed it, but for some reason, after i closed everything to reboot, the PC froze, i could access the task manager and saw the antivirus was using 100 disk again, and the full scan was still going even though i canceled it, at 33% for some reason.

@EDIT: I went to the desktop but couldn't click on any icons, if i did that, it would deselect everything and i couldn't click on anything, i restarted explorer.exe but it continued, then i opened the task manager again and the antivirus was using more disk again, and the scan has resumed, currently at 34%, i don't understand what's happening

Can anyone help?

Colif

Win 11 Master
updating IMEI while having an old bios wouldn't help.

Are you having same lightshow problem now? can you show me the video you mentioned in the conversation?

your wifi drivers are fairly new. I don't think problem is a hardware one, i normally try to find software solutions though. Not sure if data on spreadsheet will help.

oldest drivers are Thrustmaster from 2011 but I doubt that be involved.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019
updating IMEI while having an old bios wouldn't help.

Are you having same lightshow problem now? can you show me the video you mentioned in the conversation?

your wifi drivers are fairly new. I don't think problem is a hardware one, i normally try to find software solutions though. Not sure if data on spreadsheet will help.

oldest drivers are Thrustmaster from 2011 but I doubt that be involved.

Well, it could be a hardware fault since my PSU is failing, the capacitors are swollen and it has caused my wifi adapter to stop working when i start games or plug in a peripheral and all that. I'm just worried that something else could be failing, you know? specially the GPU
Lightroom problem is still here, it takes a while to process graphical changes (GPU Acceleration is enabled), and while doing so the CPU usage spikes to 100% and any audio in the background can be cut for about half a sec.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x0bpfdmY_HaycTPSQYbxDBS2rMvhaOI5/view
Here's a video of a screen tearing test at 60fps, it didn't capture well but i saw these bars as very wiggly and somewhat slanted. the 60fps slow motion should be showing that it's rendering weirdly. However i believe that uploading to google drive screwed up the quality a bit. Anyways, i disabled GPU acceleration for opera and when i did that i saw tearing, when i enabled it, i didn't see tearing but that's not shown in the vid.

When dragging the windows they look slanted, like i said, also any vertical moving bars will look slanted, such as testufo tearing tests and that video, i noticed that it looks like the window leaves a "trail", almost imperceptible, but on frame-by-frame analysis i was able to capture it. You can see it looks a bit slanted, it doesn't look as slanted as i see it but this was the closest i got to capturing it on-screen: View: https://imgur.com/a/iNqKLfu

Colif

Win 11 Master
never seen ghosting like your two images before, if I drag task manager around it stays as one solid image, it doesn't leave a greyed image of where it was on screen. The lines don't look straight on that video

I would get new PSU as it could be causing some of this, it helps to have solid power before you see what else isn't working.

You could take PC to that technician you mentioned, he might have spare parts he can swap in that he knows works to get to bottom of problem for you

Jun 21, 2019
The ghosting isn't like that actually, i see no ghosting, i was just seeing what looked like a very subtle, almost imperceptible trail, then when i looked frame by frame i saw this. I'm trying to get a new PSU

Colif

Win 11 Master
You may need to go into bios while GPU still attached, and on the Peripherals tab,

Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of themonitor display fromthe installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard
graphics.
IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)

set IGFX as default. save & exit. remove the GPU and then try the other monitor