PC being sluggish / occasionally freezing

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi,

I've been having a few issues with my PC, the first being the PC being "sluggish", examples of this being when the PC first starts up (Win 10) and I hit enter to bring up the password to log in to my account, it takes a good few 10 seconds maybe longer to bring this screen up.

The second issue is occasionally, maybe once every one to two hours my PC will freeze for about 3- 7 seconds. If watching videos or gaming, it'll freeze and make a buzzing noise when frozen then the PC will unfreeze and continue at the end of this period.

I've reset my BIOS, reinstalled Windows 10, formatted my PC, updated all my drivers to no avail. PC specs below:

CPU: Intel i7 8700k (not oc'd)
RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 (not oc'd)
C drive - 240GB SSD
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080ti

Any help would be much appreciated.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Windows 7 is much better in terms of performance, there are less background processes, this is just my opinion from my experience, I personally think windows 7 is more optimised than windows 10, and if not, you can do many things to manually optimise it, but when I look at your specs, I7, then, I thought there might be something wrong, thats a really good cpu.

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014

Thanks but that isn't really a solution, don't want to spend another £100 on Windows 7, when I've spent the same on Windows 10. Of course there is something wrong, hence the post.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
You dont need to spend any money on windows 7, I got mine for free at this website, and I know 100% that MANY other people get and activate it for free, I dont understand why people buy window, instead of just downloading it, I do understand, some people dont want to get in trouble, but throughout my whole life, Ive worked with about 8 computers which we got for free from swap meet, and each and every one of them had windows xp, or windows 10, but all I did was go to the website and setup windows 7 on all of them, its been about 5 years since windows 7 was installed on them (I havent got in ANY trouble at all after installing them for free, and I activated them with this one program, if you consider windows 7 ill let you know what it is), and to this day, I still have 3 of those 8 computers running windows 7 perfectly fine, Im just helping you to save money, through my experiences, if you will NOT consider installing windows 7, then I will help you to optimize your windows 10, just let me know, Thanks.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
How old is your harddrive?
Have you ever defragged it?
Are windows updates running in the background?
Is the inside of your pc dusty?
Do the fans work?
Have you monitored your cpu temps and usages?

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
No thanks not interested in pirating windows 7 despite what you say, thanks. I'd rather troubleshoot the issue and receive ideas for solutions

Hard drive: 7 months old 240GB SSD
SSD doesn't need defragging. Even so it's been done. 3 days ago.
No per the post, all windows updates are installed.
No dust inside the PC, all clean.
All fans are working
CPU temp stays at a cool 37or so, peaks to 70 or so when gaming off the top of my head.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Can you check the idle CPU load and the RAM load without any programs opened with the task manager, and report back. Also, where are the buzzing sounds comming from, the inside of the computer or the audio device.

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
CPU is at 5% if that. RAM at 10% give or take. Buzzing is from the speakers, as the noise freezes, so when watching videos / playing games and it freezes it makes a buzzing noise. Then unfreezes 5 seconds later

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
I recommend HW monitor to monitor temps and usages, it memories the max temps, max usages, and shows it in a very clear way.
What games do you play?
Can you run the game windowed with HW monitor opened alongside it, and tell the results here temps and usages.

Adam Hindle

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
I'm currently away with work so will try and get this done on Saturday and post results. Appreciate your help. I've actually already done the steps on that thread, with resetting bios etc. RAM, CPU and all that are seated fine and working fine.

I play a wide variety, I don't think the type of games will have much bearing here.