Question PC better, but does not act like it.

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
I have a good PC with tons of problems. I have tried updating the BIOs 3 times and all times its crashed and just does not work. Even with a ASUS tech guy guiding me. RMA'd it, got a new MB and it did the same . My computer wont load windows unless it POSTS and i open windows from the BIOs. I have tried my HDD, my 1070 TI, and my PSU with my little brothers PC (which has mostly my old parts) and everything works. I get hella FPS when I put those parts in his PC, but when I put them in mine, I get terrible FPS in games and it runs slow. Like why does his computer run faster mine if everything of mine is better? Nothing is wrong with the 1070 TI, or HDD, or PSU cuz I tested all them. I think it is the CPU or CPU cooler, the cpu cooler is a little bit loose but it works and my temps are always low. And when I use my PC it never goes past using 30% of GPU or CPU.

MY PC:
MSI 1070 TI
12 GB RAM (I forget type. DDR4 3600 something I think)
ASUS AMD X470 Pro
Ryzen 1500x
My case has 3 fans in the front, 1 in the back.

My brothers PC:
1050 TI
8 GB RAM DDR3
ASUS Pro gaming Aura 970
AMD FX-8350

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
its crashed and just does not work.

12 GB RAM (I forget type. DDR4 3600 something I think)
Ryzen 1500x

First Gen Ryzen had a lot of potential problems with RAM speeds. Even with BIOS updates, I highly doubt a 1500X and 3600MHz will play nice. Also looks like you have 8+4GB, or potentially 4+4+4GB?
Lacking dual channel / mixing and matching can be problematic too.

I would suggest removing one/the 4GB DIMM, leaving only the 1x8GB or 2x4GB (in dual channel) and disabling XMP/D.O.C.P and running 2133/2400MHz intiially

How do things look at that point?

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
First Gen Ryzen had a lot of potential problems with RAM speeds. Even with BIOS updates, I highly doubt a 1500X and 3600MHz will play nice. Also looks like you have 8+4GB, or potentially 4+4+4GB?

I would suggest removing one/the 4GB DIMM, leaving only the 1x8GB or 2x4GB (in dual channel) and disabling XMP/D.O.C.P and running 2133/2400MHz intiially

Oh my bad. I forgot to say its a Ryzen 5. imma try the stuff you said and ill get back to you right after. thanks my guy :)

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017

Ight it didnt work. In fact now my PC wont show up on my monitor. I also accidently took out the B2 ram stick (3 4GB sticks) and it didnt show up. But I had both in the B slots and it Posted and I changed the ram frequency and the DOCP was already disabled. But the weird thing now is my PC doesnt turn itself off anymore. It keeps going. Usually when it loads windows without me forcing it through bios it shuts itself off right away. But it doesnt do that anymore. But now wont show on monitor.

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
OK i switched both to the A slots and its working. Still had to open windows thru BIOS but csgo is running over 60 fps now (altho it fluctuates a lot). so its better but not as good as it should be

OK i switched both to the A slots and its working. Still had to open windows thru BIOS but csgo is running over 60 fps now (altho it fluctuates a lot). so its better but not as good as it should be
You really should have read the manual for the motherboard. You need to have one module in either slots A2/B2 (usually recommended) or A1/B1 to enabled dual channel mode and for better compatibility. This means having one module per color of ram slots with one empty slot between the installed modules. Having both modules in A1/A2 will force the system into single channel mode which will make the system run slower.

Edit - Also, when you had 3x4GB modules installed, you forced the system into single channel mode, as you have done by placing 2 modules into A1/A2 slots. If you buy another 4GB module of the same specs as the other 3, you could have dual channel and 16GB of ram. You might even able to run 2933/3000Mhz.

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
You really should have read the manual for the motherboard. You need to have one module in either slots A2/B2 (usually recommended) or A1/B1 to enabled dual channel mode and for better compatibility. This means having one module per color of ram slots with one empty slot between the installed modules. Having both modules in A1/A2 will force the system into single channel mode which will make the system run slower.

Edit - Also, when you had 3x4GB modules installed, you forced the system into single channel mode, as you have done by placing 2 modules into A1/A2 slots. If you buy another 4GB module of the same specs as the other 3, you could have dual channel and 16GB of ram. You might even able to run 2933/3000Mhz.
I did that. And it's still having boot problems and CSGO (and yes I know not all maps get the same fps) is running the same as it did in previous post lol

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try these steps.

Shut down and remove all ram.

Place 1x stick in A2 slot only.

Ram slots as follows

Cpu* - A1 | A2 | B1 | B2.

---

Boot to bios with just the one stick. Load bios defaults.

Shutdown and place another stick in B2. Try with only two sticks and try boot to Windows / test games. If booting is still a problem, change ram around only using A2 and B2 slots only.

If stock settings ok, try enable docp. If you have another xmp profile below 3600, also try that. Don't change frequency manually as this requires changing dram voltage which docp does automatically.

joshuadouglasmiller

Commendable
Nov 20, 2017
Try these steps.

Shut down and remove all ram.

Place 1x stick in A2 slot only.

Ram slots as follows

Cpu* - A1 | A2 | B1 | B2.

---

Boot to bios with just the one stick. Load bios defaults.

Shutdown and place another stick in B2. Try with only two sticks and try boot to Windows / test games. If booting is still a problem, change ram around only using A2 and B2 slots only.

If stock settings ok, try enable docp. If you have another xmp profile below 3600, also try that. Don't change frequency manually as this requires changing dram voltage which docp does automatically.
Lol ik I'm stupid but wdym by stock settings?