Question Pc Bios Issue

Apr 22, 2022
Hello there,
I found an old server and aside from some problems everything is working. (1 CPU does not work but it should be no problem) Now I tried installing a GPU, which was working just fine and set the bios graphics device to slot 4 (the slot the GPU was installed in) For those changes to be memorised I installed the CMOS battery. After a quick restart everything worked until I shut down the server. After shutting it down ( and taking away the power, which is necessary for the pc to power up again) i pressed the start button, but nothing happenes.

So I reset the Bios by taking out the CMOS battery and everything worked again. To use my graphics card I would have to reset the bios every time I shut the server down and reset the gpu as default device.

Does anyone know, why this may happen?

Some specs:
Mobo: Supermicro X8DT3-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E5620
In total 12GB DDR3 RAM installed

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sometimes resetting the BIOS takes several steps.
  1. Shut down, open case. Remove the battery, noting which side is "up". Move the Reset jumper to the reset pin pair and leave for 15-20 sec, then replace on normal "storage" pin pair. Replace the battery.
  2. Boot directly into BIOS Setup. Go to the the EXIT menu. There choose the option to Restore Default Settings or Restore Optimal Settings.
  3. Chose to SAVE and Reboot directly into BIOS Setup again. Now go through any settings you know you need to change, like which graphics system to use and which drive is the boot device, etc. Via Exit Menu again, Save and Reboot.
Step 2 ensures an entire set of reliable settings is installed, and step 3 allows you to adjust items you know need changing.

Apr 22, 2022
Sometimes resetting the BIOS takes several steps.
  1. Shut down, open case. Remove the battery, noting which side is "up". Move the Reset jumper to the reset pin pair and leave for 15-20 sec, then replace on normal "storage" pin pair. Replace the battery.
  2. Boot directly into BIOS Setup. Go to the the EXIT menu. There choose the option to Restore Default Settings or Restore Optimal Settings.
  3. Chose to SAVE and Reboot directly into BIOS Setup again. Now go through any settings you know you need to change, like which graphics system to use and which drive is the boot device, etc. Via Exit Menu again, Save and Reboot.
Step 2 ensures an entire set of reliable settings is installed, and step 3 allows you to adjust items you know need changing.
I tried all of that. Besides, this mobo does not have a cmos jumper just 2 contacts you need to short.