Question PC BIOS won't boot to Windows Without a Hard Reset

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Hello - I arrived at the office today and found a user machine's monitor was showing BIOS. I hit Save&Exit and the machine booted to BIOS again. After three such attempts, I performed a hard reset and the machine booted to Windows without issue. This build is approximately 9 months old and it has not displayed any performance issues. Any idea what could have caused this?

The system specs are:
Ryzen R9 5950X
X570 AORUS Pro WIFI
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060
64 GB RAM
1 TB SSD
EVGA GOLD 950W

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA GOLD 950W
EVGA is the brand of the unit while 950W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the PSU. While here, please state the age of the PSU as well. Is it 9 months old as well?

X570 AORUS Pro WIFI
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

1 TB SSD
Make and model of the drive?

64 GB RAM
Make and model of the ram(assuming they aren't individual sticks of ram) kit?

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
EVGA GOLD 950W
EVGA is the brand of the unit while 950W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. Gold is the advertised 80+ efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the PSU. While here, please state the age of the PSU as well. Is it 9 months old as well?

X570 AORUS Pro WIFI

1 TB SSD

64 GB RAM

The PSU is also 9 Months old - I'll have to get back to you on the model, the user is at their station and with everything functioning normally I don't want to disturb their workflow.

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
EVGA GOLD 950W

X570 AORUS Pro WIFI

1 TB SSD

64 GB RAM

But, either way, the PSU is usually the culprit in these instances? Are there other usual suspects in the mix?

works_arc

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
SSD could be failing and disappearing from system.
Could also be because of bad cable connection to SSD (for SATA connected drive).
Wrong BIOS boot settings could cause booting into BIOS.

Interesting - the SSD is NVME M.2 so probably not a cable.

Are there ways to test the performance of the SSD to see if it's failing, and to check the boot settings to make sure that that it is performing properly?

I have spare PSU, maybe I'll do some parts swap troubleshooting.