Question PC black screen caused by GPU

Jun 14, 2023
Hey all! My PC has been randomly shutting down and rebooting (black screen) when running anything graphically intensive. I've then narrowed the problem down using Furmark and figured out it is my GPU thats causing the issue. My existing GPU, RTX 3070, was brought to the shop for warranty and they have identified a problem in it. However, plot twist: They gave me a GTX 1060 to use in the meantime and it was working just fine for a few days but the random rebooting problem started reoccurring yesterday. Now that I'm confused is it my PSU or GPU that's faulty? or has my PSU damaged the GPU?

CPU I7 7700K MB Asus z270e Gaming
PSU EVGA G3 650W
GPU MSI RTX 3070 / GTX 1060
Custom Loop for CPU
SAMSUNG SSD and WD HDD

Have had this system for ~5 yrs, the RTX 3070 for 2 yrs

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

My existing GPU, RTX 3070, was brought to the shop for warranty and they have identified a problem in it. However, plot twist: They gave me a GTX 1060 to use in the meantime and it was working just fine for a few days but the random rebooting problem started reoccurring yesterday.
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform, then manually reinstalled with the latest drivers off of Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

As for your build, if you suspect the PSU to be the issue, source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU that has more wattage than you currently have on your platform and see if the issue persists. FYI, the RTX3000 series of GPU's were power hungry cards so having a buffer space helps.

D

Deleted member 2947362

No harm in replacing the PSU if its old anyway and the system it powers has had heavy use through out the PSU life time

Jun 14, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

My existing GPU, RTX 3070, was brought to the shop for warranty and they have identified a problem in it. However, plot twist: They gave me a GTX 1060 to use in the meantime and it was working just fine for a few days but the random rebooting problem started reoccurring yesterday.
Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers from your platform, then manually reinstalled with the latest drivers off of Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

As for your build, if you suspect the PSU to be the issue, source(borrow, not buy) a reliably built PSU that has more wattage than you currently have on your platform and see if the issue persists. FYI, the RTX3000 series of GPU's were power hungry cards so having a buffer space helps.
Thanks! I have tried two different cards (RTX 3070 & GTX 1060) both times installing new drivers on geforce experience yet experiencing the same issue. I believe the PSU has caused damage to my card as the shop therefore. I am currently testing the same GTX 1060 but on another system to see if the same issue reoccurs. Are there any tests I should conduct before sending my PSU to EVGA for RMA?
No harm in replacing the PSU if its old anyway and the system it powers has had heavy use through out the PSU life time
Yea, I plan on RMAing my PSU