Question PC black screen crash ?

Apr 5, 2023
Hi, Ive had an issue where my PC will sometimes crash pretty much out of nowhere where my monitor goes dark but my keyboard, rgb lights in my case and fans start running at full speed. I have to shut it down by just holding the power button down and it will start up immediately afterward with no issue. I have tried updating bios and drivers for my gpu and it does help, but will still crash. It also does not tend to happen while im playing a game, but just when im on youtube or chrome in general.

I thought I fixed the problem when I turned off windows 11 updates which were causing crashes but now my pc doesn't show a reason why it crashes in event viewer, just that it did crash. The ram light on my mobo also comes on as well when this happens, so I believe it may have something to do with the rgb on the ram potentially, but I'm not too sure.

The one time when it did stop happening was when I moved, as the problem existed before and is now starting to reappear, however I am not knowledgeable enough to fix something like this. I have seen a few people have similar issues to this, and I haven't tried all the methods, mostly the ones which involve actually going into my pc yet because I am worried about messing my pc up in general. If there's any information that I forgot here let me know. Thanks in advance.

Specs:
ASUS TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (Wi-Fi)
AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz
Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB
Western Digital WD BLACK SN750
Rosewill LEPTON 700 Modular 700W

Apr 5, 2023
One more thing, It does seem to happen sometimes when I let my monitor turn off for whatever reason and when i move my mouse to turn the monitor back on it freezes.

Mar 30, 2023
I had a friend whose monitors go black screen, fans speed up, but they can still hear the game and discord and he had to shutdown. Turns out it was a power supply issue, might've been going bad. He replaced it and it was fixed. And to temporarily use his computer while waiting on his new power supply, he lowered his core clock and memory clock by a few hundred mhz to prevent the crashing.

Hi, Ive had an issue where my PC will sometimes crash pretty much out of nowhere where my monitor goes dark but my keyboard, rgb lights in my case and fans start running at full speed. I have to shut it down by just holding the power button down and it will start up immediately afterward with no issue. I have tried updating bios and drivers for my gpu and it does help, but will still crash. It also does not tend to happen while im playing a game, but just when im on youtube or chrome in general. I thought I fixed the problem when I turned off windows 11 updates which were causing crashes but now my pc doesn't show a reason why it crashes in event viewer, just that it did crash. The ram light on my mobo also comes on as well when this happens, so I believe it may have something to do with the rgb on the ram potentially, but I'm not too sure. The one time when it did stop happening was when I moved, as the problem existed before and is now starting to reappear, however I am not knowledgeable enough to fix something like this. I have seen a few people have similar issues to this, and I haven't tried all the methods, mostly the ones which involve actually going into my pc yet because I am worried about messing my pc up in general. If there's any information that I forgot here let me know. Thanks in advance.
Specs:
Try turning sleep/hibernate off these two things "ARE KNOWN TO CAUSE THESE ISSUE WAY TO MUCH" they are more of a problem then helpful to a lot of people. If this doesn't help try Win + Ctrl + Shift + B
I can't remember what exactly this does but has been known to fix this type of issue before

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
Hi, Ive had an issue where my PC will sometimes crash pretty much out of nowhere where my monitor goes dark but my keyboard, rgb lights in my case and fans start running at full speed. I have to shut it down by just holding the power button down and it will start up immediately afterward with no issue. I have tried updating bios and drivers for my gpu and it does help, but will still crash. It also does not tend to happen while im playing a game, but just when im on youtube or chrome in general. I thought I fixed the problem when I turned off windows 11 updates which were causing crashes but now my pc doesn't show a reason why it crashes in event viewer, just that it did crash. The ram light on my mobo also comes on as well when this happens, so I believe it may have something to do with the rgb on the ram potentially, but I'm not too sure. The one time when it did stop happening was when I moved, as the problem existed before and is now starting to reappear, however I am not knowledgeable enough to fix something like this. I have seen a few people have similar issues to this, and I haven't tried all the methods, mostly the ones which involve actually going into my pc yet because I am worried about messing my pc up in general. If there's any information that I forgot here let me know. Thanks in advance.
Specs:
I had the same issue. I was going crazy, thought it was either the GPU or the powersupply or the usb ports but tests couldn't reproduce it. I formatted all drives and clean installed windows and it is fixed. As weird as it sounds, corrupted data(either windows or the drivers) can cause this.

Mar 30, 2023
I had the same issue. I was going crazy, thought it was either the GPU or the powersupply or the usb ports but tests couldn't reproduce it. I formatted all drives and clean installed windows and it is fixed. As weird as it sounds, corrupted data(either windows or the drivers) can cause this.
My theory is that something happened between windows and the graphics card, or the windows and radeon software. Not sure what it was but i guess it is fixed. though i have found other issues like i cant run the xbox app properly or run team viewer either. might be unrelated.

JCarax

Honorable
Dec 21, 2016
My theory is that something happened between windows and the graphics card, or the windows and radeon software. Not sure what it was but i guess it is fixed. though i have found other issues like i cant run the xbox app properly or run team viewer either. might be unrelated.
A few days after I posted this the issue came back. So at this point I have no idea what is triggering it. Computer ran fine 4-5 days after a clean windows install. But today it crashed twice. Once during a game and once the PC was idling. Screen goes black, fans go full speed. So either the GPU is shutting down or something of that nature.