Question PC black screen crashing and display driver errors

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
About a year ago I began having system crashing issues where my PC would becoming unresponsive (could most of the time still move mouse) and require a hard restart. Never found the cause and spent a lot replacing certain parts and general upgrading including getting a new PSU, graphics card, RAM and SSD. Non of these seemed to fix the problem, but the crashing one day just stopped half a year ago.

Fast forward to now, I am now getting a different form of crash. Games are occassionally crashing with a "display driver stopped responding" message. Today I had a crash prompting me to make this post where my screen went black apart from certain artifacts from the game I was playing along with a loud audio noise, followed by the PC rebooting.

I've gone through all my drivers and they are all up to date. Uninstalled and reinstalled display drivers to be sure. Temps have never been an issue. Event viewer errors have never been consistent but I can post an image of them if you'd like. The only critical error is an event 41 kernel-power which from my understanding just means the pc shutdown unexpectedly from the crashing.

I'm out of ideas and wish I had the money to just build a new PC and through this cursed machine away. Any suggestions?

System Specs:
Ryzen 5 5600X
RTX 3070Ti
32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 RAM
MSI B550i Gaming Edge WiFi
Corsair RM750x PSU
Samsung 980 1TB NVME SSD

Ralston18

Titan
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Carefully unplug and re-plug a couple of times to make sure.

Leave the CPU alone.

Inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen components, loose or missing screws.

[Note: if you are not comfortable opening the case to do those things then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.]

Hopefully something has simply come a bit loose and then, while playing, temperature changes, vibrations, cause a quick disconnect somewhere.

And, be sure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to other locations off of your PC. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Who knows what may happen when the next crash occurs......

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place. Carefully unplug and re-plug a couple of times to make sure.

Leave the CPU alone.

Inspect for signs of damage: bare conductor showing, melted insulation, kinked or pinched wires, browned or blackened components, swollen components, loose or missing screws.

[Note: if you are not comfortable opening the case to do those things then find a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.]

Hopefully something has simply come a bit loose and then, while playing, temperature changes, vibrations, cause a quick disconnect somewhere.

And, be sure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x to other locations off of your PC. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

Who knows what may happen when the next crash occurs......
Thanks for the reply. I've gone threough my case and reseated my ram and gpu, and looked over the cables. Nothing seems loose or different. I also don't see any visbible damage. I've also run some stress tests on the gpu to double check temperatures which are still good and see if crashes happen when the gpu is under load but haven't had a crash during the tests.

Last edited:

AJStellios

Commendable
Dec 13, 2020
Reinstalled windows 11 and just installed drivers and a game to test, the game still crashed. Used driver verifier once again and this time I didn't get a BSOD so am now even more confused.