[SOLVED] PC black screen, games freeze, sound plays

Nov 9, 2021
Problem began with New World, but has now spread to every game I attempt to play, and happens periodically when I'm simply relaxing and watching Youtube or Twitch... The screens go black, and nothing is responsive. Sometimes the gpu locks fans out at max, sometimes it doesn't.
I have MSI Afterburner with my GPU undervolted because it was having problems playing Valorant upon arrival, and after searching around I'd found that some people were blaming AORUS 3080 cards for this, as the voltage/wattage fluctuations weren't good for the card, and causing the cards to crash. The solution was to simply lock the card's voltage. I chose to lock it at 925mv, with fans at 100%. This resolved that problem, and I'm unsure if it's related to this problem.

Specs:
CASE: DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 RGB Mid Tower ATX Gaming Case w/ Tempered Glass Front and Side
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i9-11900K 8/16 3.50GHz [Turbo 5.1GHz] 16MB Cache LGA1200
CASE FAN: 3X 140mm Phanteks SK140 Digital RGB PWM FAN - high airflow nine-blade 500-1500 RPM Radiator Fans
CPU FAN: CyberpowerPC MasterLiquid Lite 360mm ARGB CPU Liquid Cooler with Dual Chamber Pump & Copper Cold Plate (Intel)
2TB WD Black SN750 Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - Seq R/W: Up to 3400/2900 MB/s, Rnd R/W up to 480/550k [+136] (Dual Drive (2TB x 2 (4TB Capacity))
RAM: corsair vengeance rgb 8gb ddr4 3000mhz
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX, ARGB, 1GbE LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 1 M.2 (Key E) 1M.2 SATA/PCIe
PSU: Apevia ATX-PR Prestige Series 80 Plus Gold ATX12V Power
GPU: rtx3080 AORUS

Please halp. Cannot play video games for the brain chems >_<

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Assuming that you got the wattage right(with that RTX 3080 in there), that you have this unit(since you didn't mention the wattage of the unit)? If so, I wish you invested on a reliably built PSU, like one from Corsair's RM series or a Seasonic unit.

Can you check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? The first game you found the issue on was known to cause any faults, on the GPU manufacturing side of things, to come up to the surface. I think the problem you're facing might've started with New World and then crippled the GPU to the point that it's now evident on other titles.

You might want to see if sourcing a reliably built unit that has at least 850W of power to the...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Assuming that you got the wattage right(with that RTX 3080 in there), that you have this unit(since you didn't mention the wattage of the unit)? If so, I wish you invested on a reliably built PSU, like one from Corsair's RM series or a Seasonic unit.

Can you check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing? The first game you found the issue on was known to cause any faults, on the GPU manufacturing side of things, to come up to the surface. I think the problem you're facing might've started with New World and then crippled the GPU to the point that it's now evident on other titles.

You might want to see if sourcing a reliably built unit that has at least 850W of power to the entire system's disposal, from a friend or neighbor and see if the issue persists.

Solution
Nov 9, 2021
That is the unit indeed. Do you think the problem may be secluded to the PSU, or is the PSU+GPU scrapped now? The rig hardly turns on anymore, the moment I try to watch anything in 1080p60hd on YouTube/open even the simplest of games the black screen crash happens and the GPU fans lock out as fast as they can spin. If allowed to sit for a while eventually the gpu fans cease to spin, however at no point does video display return. I've never seen the temps get up over 90C even while benchmarking (boy did it do incredibly well at benchmarks) but the problem reminds me of a friends rig that had an untimely heat death.