[SOLVED] PC black screen, help!

keep009

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
I come home after school and turn on my pc as usual, go take a glass of apple juice downstairs and when i come back i see a message from my bios telling me that no boot drive was detected. I instantly just press ok and restart my pc, but this time there is no message, there is nothing. Just black screen and my monitors don't start in any way. Confused i open my chassie and reconnect all the cables to my ssd and hdd. Nothing. All the fans spin, everything is normal but nothing on the screen. I try re-seating the ram, re-seating the graphics card and switch out the mother board battery. Nothing. Nothing changes, still a blacksreen. I try to connect my dvi cable to the motherboard slot. Nothing, i'm quite lost at this point and i have no clue what to try. Help please.

Solution
That PSU has probably damaged some vital parts, and swapping the damaged parts is the only fix, so taking it to a shop is probably what you will have to end up doing. Get a better PSU next time.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model and Storage drives.

You would likely need to disconnect the GPU entirely to see if the integrated graphics work, otherwise when you plug the DVI into the MB, it can still have the iGPU disabled.

Have you tried disconnecting the system storage drive (C)?

Keep the DVI plugged into the GPU, and try using a different SATA port on the motherboard, a different SATA power to the boot drive, and a different SATA cable from boot drive to motherboard.

When you turn on the system, touch the hard drive on the back, see if you feel it vibrating slightly or not.

keep009

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Please post your entire system spec including PSU make and model and Storage drives.

You would likely need to disconnect the GPU entirely to see if the integrated graphics work, otherwise when you plug the DVI into the MB, it can still have the iGPU disabled.

Have you tried disconnecting the system storage drive (C)?

Gtx 1660 ti (brand new) but did have some artifacts when playing games.
i7-3770k
2 8gbs ram sticks, no clue at what speed or brand
500w cooler master psu
1tb black seagate hdd
500gb ssd crucial (brand new)
Random motherboad that i think is from gigabyte but it has no branding on it.

i've tried unplugging both drives and tried diffrent sata ports.

i tried unplugging the gpu and tried the onboard graphics, no succes.

keep009

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Keep the DVI plugged into the GPU, and try using a different SATA port on the motherboard, a different SATA power to the boot drive, and a different SATA cable from boot drive to motherboard.

When you turn on the system, touch the hard drive on the back, see if you feel it vibrating slightly or not.

done all of that, the hdd is spinning up but it's not my OS drive, the ssd it.

keep009

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
What is the exact MODEL PSU? and you say you also have artifacts?

Cooler master rs-500-acab-b1

I overclocked the gpu using msi oc scanner, then when i played counterstrike i got some weird artifacts white lines would flash over the screen very fast every so slightly. I turned down the overlock but the problem did not dissaprear.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well the PSU is poor quality, so can't eradicate the possibility that an OC has caused damage. But hopefully not.

I'd be tempted to breadboard the system, just remove everything leaving the CPU, Cooler, MB, PSU, 1 stick of RAM, reset CMOS and plug into MB graphics and see if you can get a signal based on what you have already tried.

keep009

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
Well the PSU is poor quality, so can't eradicate the possibility that an OC has caused damage. But hopefully not.

I'd be tempted to breadboard the system, just remove everything leaving the CPU, Cooler, MB, PSU, 1 stick of RAM, reset CMOS and plug into MB graphics and see if you can get a signal based on what you have already tried.
So when booting like that i should just get booted into bios?

keep009

Commendable
Jan 12, 2017
That PSU has probably damaged some vital parts, and swapping the damaged parts is the only fix, so taking it to a shop is probably what you will have to end up doing. Get a better PSU next time.
Yeah i'm thinking the same, i was about 12 when i build this pc and picked that PSU, i took whatever i could find in the store at the time. My hope is that only the motherboard is damage, that would be the best case scenario for me but not likely. I'll leave it at a shop tomorrow and update if i get some news.