Question PC black screen then restarts on its own or it just remains an idle black screen

Jun 8, 2021
So recently I've just encountered the problem just a few days ago

my current build is:
MOBO: Asrock B550m Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GTX 1660 Gaming X
HDD1: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB
HDD2: Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 4TB
SSD: Western Digital WDS240G2G0B 240GB M.2
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 -3200
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX 650 80+ Gold Modular

I usually found my PC to black out and restart whenever it would reach CPU temps of over 70* C, at least that's what I think is causing it. The problem will only happen if my PC gets hot when gaming but I've come to notice that I can still play in the same graphical settings provided that I use my air conditioner to cool the air around my room. I can still use the PC normally when its not under load

I've already updated my GPU drivers, checked my RAM using windows memory diagnostics and found no problems there, then scanned my hard drives and SSD where the problem seemed to have fixed itself already. I had recently replaced my PSU and my previous one was an Adata XPG, 550watts, Pylon, PSU, 80 bronze, full modular that I just bought 5 months ago but the problem still persisted. I installed a Dark Rock Pro 4 CPU cooler and I think I might have botched it when applying thermal paste around May 21 but the problem only happened until June 2

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you elaborate on what you're referring to as a botched installation? Did you get thermal paste into the CPU socket? Can you check and see what BISO version you're on for your motherboard? While on that topic, can you also check and see what version of Windows 10 you're currently on? As for the memory, which slots are they occupying on the motherboard? Just for the sake of relevance if you aren't, use HWMontior to keep an eye on temps and see if the issue is reproduceable. If the issue happens again, breadboard the system with only bare minimum components(and game library drive) and then tax the system with a game. Keep an eye on temps while breadboarded as well, both with and without air-conditioning your room. Speaking of which what sort of ambient room temps are you getting both on and off A/C?

Jun 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you elaborate on what you're referring to as a botched installation? Did you get thermal paste into the CPU socket? Can you check and see what BISO version you're on for your motherboard? While on that topic, can you also check and see what version of Windows 10 you're currently on? As for the memory, which slots are they occupying on the motherboard? Just for the sake of relevance if you aren't, use HWMontior to keep an eye on temps and see if the issue is reproduceable. If the issue happens again, breadboard the system with only bare minimum components(and game library drive) and then tax the system with a game. Keep an eye on temps while breadboarded as well, both with and without air-conditioning your room. Speaking of which what sort of ambient room temps are you getting both on and off A/C?

Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

By botched installation of my CPU cooler, I meant that I have fidgeted it around while trying to screw it on place so I'm guessing the thermal paste is affected, as far as I know I have not gotten thermal paste into the socket when I applied it. The RAM are on dual channel occupying the 2nd and 4th slots. I was monitoring the issue only with core temp so that is what led to my theory.

BIOS Version: P1.20
Windows 10 Version: 19042.985

The issue is indeed reproducable

Ambient Temps I have are 49C-55C without A/C and 38C-45 with A/C

Jun 8, 2021
Update, things I've done to try and fix it and these didn't work
I have reapplied thermal paste and changed my RAM (G Skill Ripjaws V 3200 Mhz), I have updated my GPU drivers to the latest version 466.77

Right now I updated my BIOS to 2.00 and will try to do more testing

Edit 1: Updating my BIOS did not fix the problem

Edit 2: Reinstalling my Drivers using DDU(Display Driver Uninstaller) worked as of the moment, never experience a crash in a match of Rainbow Six Siege without my Air conditioning unit on, will do further testing with other games

Edit 3: Played other intensive games and PC crashed, while checking for other things, I found that there were corrupt files for my OS and it said it automatically fixed those

Last edited: