PC black screen when turn on and GPU sometimes spinning then stop

Dauh

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Hi i have a problem with my pc. First, sorry my bad english.

-When i turn on pc,screen turn black (sometimes it's working fine).

-I've noticed after turn on pc, sometimes motherboard light won't light up (after unplug power cable around 5 minutes,then turn on pc, motherboard light working fine again).

-Gpu fan sometimes spinning, then stop and spinning again (its happened around 1 minutes & then spinning normally) but screen always turn black.

-Maybe this could be power supply problem?

-sometimes i can turn on my pc without all this problem then later this happen again.

Solution
I don't think using a VGA cable will fix your issues, but you can always try. If the mouse and keyboard are also not working well (but work well in another computer), along with the other problems you're still having, that points the problem to the motherboard or processor.

Try removing the battery on the motherboard and resetting the CMOS/BIOS/UEFI - whatever your motherboard uses - (there are certain pins to bridge which can be found in the motherboard manual or online), then install a new battery.

If the problems still persist, you're probably looking at replacing the motherboard and/or processor; and if that's the case.... If you can afford it, a new computer is probably not a bad idea.

At this point, unless you have spare...

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Easy thing to do: Unplug the 6-pin connector and see if the PC boots up consistently. If it does, then try using another connector (just to rule it out). After, assuming you still have the issue:

Try borrowing a good PSU to see if that fixes the issue. If it does, replace the PSU. If it doesn't, it's probably the graphics card.

Dauh

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015

thanks for your reply. i tried another connector/unplug 6pin connector method and pc still boots up consistently... i tried use vga cable too because amd a10 6800k built in graphics but still same problem. do you think this is more likely motherboard or psu?

*still waiting my psu

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
So, if I understand this correctly: It still randomly boots to a black screen and won't always display the graphics, regardless of whether the video card is plugged in or not?

Looking at the first post and cross examining it, I think it's probably the PSU: the PC is probably not always getting the standby power it needs. But I'll list a couple of things to check before you spend more money than you might have to.

- Check the PSU and motherboard for dust build up, as too much dust can cause shorts. If there's a lot of dust, use canned air to blow it out.
- Make sure there aren't any badly bent, twisted, or pinched cables. If there are, free them up and see if that changes anything.

Those aren't likely, but they can (and occasionally do) cause issues, and a good free/cheap solution is always worth the try.

Dauh

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
i test with the new psu still have same problem. when i turn on pc, mouse & keyboard light won't light up. if i try use vga cable do you think it will solved the problem (i don't know if this related to the issue or not)?

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
I don't think using a VGA cable will fix your issues, but you can always try. If the mouse and keyboard are also not working well (but work well in another computer), along with the other problems you're still having, that points the problem to the motherboard or processor.

Try removing the battery on the motherboard and resetting the CMOS/BIOS/UEFI - whatever your motherboard uses - (there are certain pins to bridge which can be found in the motherboard manual or online), then install a new battery.

If the problems still persist, you're probably looking at replacing the motherboard and/or processor; and if that's the case.... If you can afford it, a new computer is probably not a bad idea.

At this point, unless you have spare working parts (that fit) lying around, you may want to have it diagnosed at a local PC repair shop with a decent reputation (if available).

Alternatively, the more expensive (and NOT recommended) option is to get a replacement motherboard, and if that doesn't work, a replacement processor....

But the reason I don't recommend buying replacement parts and hoping that fixes it, is that you might as well upgrade if you have to buy the stuff. It's money, and an updated system will last longer and be more powerful.

Solution

Dauh

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Oh shit my bad. I should say that my mouse/keyboard not working at first post. (which is working well in another computer).
Yea i saw my processor pins bent. I thought i fixed it . RIP my cpu i guess :/
One last question. If my processor pins bent, i need to replace motherboard & processor or only processor?
Anyway, thank you so much for helping me

electro_neanderthal

Respectable
Jan 22, 2018
Well, if you're careful, and there aren't any broken or extremely bent pins, you can try and gently bend them back to see if that fixes it for free.

But, if you can't, don't want to, or the issues still persist, and you choose to replace the processor, then yes: The motherboard should still be alright to re-use as long as there isn't any damage to the socket (also make sure there aren't any stuck pins left in the socket, as those will mess up the new processor). Just make sure the new processor is the same or is compatible with the motherboard.

It's not a guarantee, but you've already discovered an apparent problem with the processor so I think your motherboard is still fine.

Redundant advice, given because I don't know how the pins got bent in the first place:

You probably know this already, but just in case, know that the AMD CPUs and APUs are zero-force insertion; they should just drop into place, so never put pressure on them while trying to insert them. If unsure on how far it drops, try sliding it around a bit to see if it wants to drop further by itself.