Question PC Black Screening while gaming after upgrade.

hawtdog

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Hoping someone can help me out. My PC black screens whenever playing a game. Below are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB VENTUS 2X OC Video Card

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I upgraded from a Ryzen 3600 to a 5900x, and from 16GB ddr4 3600 to 32GB ddr4 3600 recently. Also had to upgrade my bios to the most recent version to allow for the 5900x to work. These are the only changes I’ve made, and since making them these black screens started occurring.

At first, I assumed the crashes were due to an unstable XMP profile but after turning XMP off it’s still happening.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this on my own for about two weeks now and I’m losing patience. My next step is to get rid of this motherboard entirely and try a new one.

Any help is deeply appreciated. Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
If you're indeed on the latest BIOS version(F37c ) try manually inputting the timings, frequency and voltage as advertised on the stick of ram. See if the issue persists. Also, with regards to your PSU, you should've looked into a higher wattage unit when pairing the build with an RTX3070.

hawtdog

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
If you're indeed on the latest BIOS version(F37c ) try manually inputting the timings, frequency and voltage as advertised on the stick of ram. See if the issue persists. Also, with regards to your PSU, you should've looked into a higher wattage unit when pairing the build with an RTX3070.

I’ve already tried manually entering the timings, and also set the voltage manually (because for some reason the bios doesn't when selecting the profile). I’ve also tried reducing the memory speed but it doesnt seem to matter. It’ll crash at all speeds.

According to PCPartPicker my builds estimate power usage is 464w. Why would I need to go over my existing 750w PSU?

hawtdog

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
View: https://youtu.be/wnRyyCsuHFQ

Which has brought some concerns to the industry. As for your rams, maybe try with higher voltage, while being on the same timings, voltage and frequency. Link to the ram kit? Which slots are the sticks of ram populating on the board?

Thanks for the info.

Gave that a shot and tried the dram voltage at 1.400, 1.450, and 1.500, and still getting crashes. Here is a link to the kit: https://a.co/d/dXjhR8N

The memory modules are installed in the A2 & B2 slots as suggested by the manual for dual channel memory.

I watched the video. Do you think my next best bet would be to purchase a 1000w power supply and see if that fixes the issue? Is there any way to tell if that is the issue beforehand?

EDIT: Can also confirm I am running F37c bios. Made sure to double check when changing the voltages.

Lutfij

Titan
I wouldn't purchase one, provided you can borrow an unit from a friend or neighbor or you could take the GPU and drop into another system with a higher wattage, reliably built PSU. You can also try and take the processor you upgraded to onto a known working donor board to see if that indeed is the culprit.

You could try and reinstall your OS, at this point and see if a recreated bootable USB installer with Windows Media Creation Tools changes anything for you.

hawtdog

Honorable
Nov 21, 2015
Got a new PSU and that didn't fix it so I decided a new motherboard should certainly work, right? Nope. New PSU. New MOBO + RAM and it still clicks off as soon as I turn on the game. I've tried different outlets in my house. I've tried with a surge protector & without one. Bios are current. Memory is on the QVL list.

I think I give up. o_O