Question PC black screens and restarts when loading certain games, cannot uninstall antivirus. Fortnite and Apex Legends.

kindokid

Prominent
Jul 10, 2018
So this problem has been going on for a while. Whenever I try to play games such as Fortnite or Apex Legends, when I launch the game, my PC black screens and restarts. I used to work around this by disabling windows built in antivirus defender, but this worked only a few times. I tried installing an antivirus called ''Avast'' but this did not help, and the PC would also black screen if i tried uninstalling Avast. My PC also restarts and black screens when I try to put an XBOX controller in through USB. I think this all stems back to an anti virus/ driver issue but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

kindokid

Prominent
Jul 10, 2018
Ok so I rebooted in safe mode and managed to uninstall Avast, thank you.
How should I go about fixing the XBOX controller issue as well as games crashing my PC?
Any help would be greatly appreciated again, thanks.

kindokid

Prominent
Jul 10, 2018
So the removal of Avast did not solve your Xbox problem? Does your computer crash the moment you plug in your Xox controller, or only when you are playing games. Did you try plugging in your Xbox controller in safe mode?
The problems with my PC happened before I installed Avast. When I plug in my xbox controller my computer does not crash, however when I click a program with my mouse with the controller plugged in, the computer immediately restarts and black screens. I did try plugging the controller in safe mode, and there arent any problems when it is in safe mode.

Obviously you have a conflict between the two. Try changing the ports, especially use the ports on the back. without the xbox controller plugged in go to the Device Manger and see if there are any yellow question marks. If so double click on the question mark and choose update driver> automatically search for best driver. If there are no question marks, plug in your Xbox and see if it generates one.

kindokid

Prominent
Jul 10, 2018
Obviously you have a conflict between the two. Try changing the ports, especially use the ports on the back. without the xbox controller plugged in go to the Device Manger and see if there are any yellow question marks. If so double click on the question mark and choose update driver> automatically search for best driver. If there are no question marks, plug in your Xbox and see if it generates one.
there were not any question marks in device manager before or after the xbox controller was put in. I can tell you that the Xbox controller did not restart the pc when I plugged it in, or when I minimised device manager or my google chrome browser. It only restarted when I clicked on the google chrome icon on my taskbar. And I have tried every port on my PC as well.

kindokid

Prominent
Jul 10, 2018
did you try to use controler on another system to see if it is happening and without controller plug in all icon work not shut down of computer i would also use occt to stress test psu and see what it does .
the controller is working, it is definitely a problem with the pc - I said that the pc restarts when I load Fortnite and Apex Legends. without the controller plugged in the computer works fine. I will try and stress test the psu thank you.