Question PC black screens as soon as I open a game

Mar 20, 2019
So basically all of a sudden my computer just black screened and restarted while I was gaming and I didn't think anything of it because after it restarted it didn't happen for another 2 days (today). It didn't stop happening after that so I formatted my PC and after having everything downloaded I tried to run a game and it black screened again. So I tried resetting the motherboards BIOS to see if that would help and still no.

I have run prime95 (blend) and furmark without any problems, I have also recorded the temperatures of when the pc crashes and they are all below 40°C.

I have also tried unplugging everything from my pc that doesn't need to be plugged in and I have updated the graphics card.
Specs:
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Duke OC 11GB
  • I5 8600k
  • Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB 2933
  • Cooler Master MWE Gold 750W
  • Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 3
  • Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler

I should also mention that this build is only 6 months old

Ralston18

Titan
Power off and unplug the computer. Check that all internal components are fully and firmly seated. May appear to be in place but are actually loose in some manner. Cables, cards, jumpers, everything...

Over time, heating and cooling (expansion and contraction) can cause components to creep loose.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode and work without problems?

If you can successfully boot, check Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the black screens.

And, once booted you can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to look for hardware and software problems: some bottleneck perhaps.

Very likely you will discover some clue as to what is happening. Then that particular issue can be investigated and hopefully a fix will be found.

Mar 20, 2019
Power off and unplug the computer. Check that all internal components are fully and firmly seated. May appear to be in place but are actually loose in some manner. Cables, cards, jumpers, everything...

Over time, heating and cooling (expansion and contraction) can cause components to creep loose.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode and work without problems?

If you can successfully boot, check Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings just before or at the time of the black screens.

And, once booted you can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to look for hardware and software problems: some bottleneck perhaps.

Very likely you will discover some clue as to what is happening. Then that particular issue can be investigated and hopefully a fix will be found.
So I have unplugged and plugged everything pack in and the problem is still occurring.

Also, I should have mentioned before that I can do everything else on the computer besides open/run games.

No bottlenecking seems to be occurring while the PC is running and before is black screens.

The last event to happen before the black screen was "Audio Orchestrator Power Event: Battery Saver Is Not Enabled, Voice Activation Ready" and after is turned back on there was an event "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Ralston18

Titan
I did some googling using the "Audio Orchestrator" event.

Found multiple links including the following link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/241179/how-to-use-and-configure-windows-10s-battery-saver-mode/

The link may not appear relevant per se but about 1/2 way down Battery Saver is mentioned with respect to Windows 10.

However, I am not at all sure about that being applicable to the problem(s) your computer is having.

Read the link and do some additional online research. You may discover some other factors that will help identify the reason for the black screens.

Are you using Cortana? Even if not, add" Cortana" to the search criteria. Voice activation being necessary for Cortana.....

Mar 20, 2019
I did some googling using the "Audio Orchestrator" event.

Found multiple links including the following link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/241179/how-to-use-and-configure-windows-10s-battery-saver-mode/

The link may not appear relevant per se but about 1/2 way down Battery Saver is mentioned with respect to Windows 10.

However, I am not at all sure about that being applicable to the problem(s) your computer is having.

Read the link and do some additional online research. You may discover some other factors that will help identify the reason for the black screens.

Are you using Cortana? Even if not, add" Cortana" to the search criteria. Voice activation being necessary for Cortana.....
So after a lot of testing, I have figured out that it has to do with my SSD because if windows is installed on my SSD and my games are on either HDD or SSD I can't open any games but if I install windows onto my HDD everything runs fine but still, if I install a game on my SSD and try to play it the same thing will happen (Black Screen). I still haven't moved my SSD to another slot yet to see if it's a motherboard problem, if I eventually get to it I will add an edit.