[SOLVED] PC Black-screens but still remains on- no display on monitors and keyboard and mouse switches off

May 19, 2020
Hi there,

I have a frustrating issue prolonging for a long 6-month period whereby my computer randomly stops outputting a display to both of my monitors and my keyboard and mouse dies. This usually happens when playing games under stress, but today especially I had trouble booting it up without it black-screening.
PC specs:
. CPU: Ryzen 2600x
. GPU: RTX 2070
. PSU: Corsair RM650x
. 16gb DDR4 memory
Steps I have taken to resolve:
  1. Ensured I have kept all of my drivers up to date
  2. Used a DDU several times to get fresh installs of drivers when new ones are released
  3. Updated all of my other drivers (including bios, ethernet etc)
  4. Replaced the PCIe cables connecting to my GPU
  5. Replaced SATA cables connecting to SSD and Hard Drive
  6. Ensured all of my cables were fully connected inside my computer
  7. Uninstalled any third-party software applications (such as the Aorus Engine) to prevent interference
  8. Reinstalled windows entirely

However, after taking more steps towards resolving this issue I downloaded Hwinfo where I discovered my max CPU temps went up to 94 degrees celsius in-game. Could the cooling be the issue? If so, would it explain the fact that both my keyboard and mouse switch off, and monitors stop outputting, but the computer and it's fans continue to function properly. After all, when a computer overheats, the whole system shuts down if I'm correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Solution
Hi, thankyou for your reply. What do you mean the max temp is 95 degrees for my CPU, and are you sure that overheating is the problem? As I have researched and found that PCs shut down completely after temperatures exceed the maximum threshold, but mine doesn't.
Right here https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600x you can see that maximum temperature for that CPU (as is for most Ryzen) is 95c at which it should and would shut down.
You said that yours reached 94c in a game and that's just short hop to shutdown. So I'm pretty sure temperature is the reason of your woes.
Hi there,

I have a frustrating issue prolonging for a long 6-month period whereby my computer randomly stops outputting a display to both of my monitors and my keyboard and mouse dies. This usually happens when playing games under stress, but today especially I had trouble booting it up without it black-screening.
PC specs:
. CPU: Ryzen 2600x
. GPU: RTX 2070
. PSU: Corsair RM650x
. 16gb DDR4 memory
Steps I have taken to resolve:
  1. Ensured I have kept all of my drivers up to date
  2. Used a DDU several times to get fresh installs of drivers when new ones are released
  3. Updated all of my other drivers (including bios, ethernet etc)
  4. Replaced the PCIe cables connecting to my GPU
  5. Replaced SATA cables connecting to SSD and Hard Drive
  6. Ensured all of my cables were fully connected inside my computer
  7. Uninstalled any third-party software applications (such as the Aorus Engine) to prevent interference
  8. Reinstalled windows entirely
However, after taking more steps towards resolving this issue I downloaded Hwinfo where I discovered my max CPU temps went up to 94 degrees celsius in-game. Could the cooling be the issue? If so, would it explain the fact that both my keyboard and mouse switch off, and monitors stop outputting, but the computer and it's fans continue to function properly. After all, when a computer overheats, the whole system shuts down if I'm correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Yes, temperature can be real problem, better do something about it. Max temp for that processor is 95c, even 80-sh is too much.

May 19, 2020
Hi, thankyou for your reply. What do you mean the max temp is 95 degrees for my CPU, and are you sure that overheating is the problem? As I have researched and found that PCs shut down completely after temperatures exceed the maximum threshold, but mine doesn't.

Right here https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600x you can see that maximum temperature for that CPU (as is for most Ryzen) is 95c at which it should and would shut down.
You said that yours reached 94c in a game and that's just short hop to shutdown. So I'm pretty sure temperature is the reason of your woes.

Solution