Question PC black screens, CPU debug light comes on and PC won't power off

Feb 18, 2023
So, for a short description of what exactly happens when the PC decides to do this.

• Both displays will go black
  • CPU debug lights up on the motherboard
  • PC is unable to turned off by the cases reset button or the cases power off button (has to be turned off by the PSU switch)
  • The PC never fully turns off, all the RGB lights are still on and fans are running
  • Keyboard & mouse RGB turns off
  • A way I can get it to always crash is if I load up GTA 5 and play it for about a minute and it will force the PC to do what is listed above
PC Specs:

Everything inside of the PC is brand new, besides the motherboard, which I have had since I had first built the PC back in 2018. I have only upgraded the RAM, GPU and most recently the CPU and PSU together (which is when this started happening)

PC was also built by myself and a cousin in 2018, not pre built​

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x (Upgraded from a Ryzen 7 2700x)
  • MOBO: MSI B450 Gaming Plus (Hasn't been upgraded, always has been in the PC)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2 x 16GB DDR4) 3600mhz @ XMP 3600mhz (Was originally G.skill Ripjaws (2 x 8GB DDR4 3200mhz)
  • GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 OC Edition (Upgraded from RTX 2060 Super SC Ultra)
  • PSU: Corsair RM850X Gold Plus Power Supply (Upgraded from 500w PSU, don't remember the brand)
What I have tried doing so far to fix it

• Made sure that all the cables are new cables that had come with the RM850X
  • Reset the CMOS battery
  • Unseated and seated the RAM
  • Unplugged all cables from the PSU and plugged them back in
  • Made sure BIOs is on the newest version, which it is, did this right when I got the new CPU
  • Checked event viewer, no errors besides it saying the PC had turned off improperly
  • Watched temperatures, barely goes over 70c for CPU while gaming, and GPU temperatures are normal
  • Was going to try and change the PSU, but I believe the old 500w wouldn't put out enough power and I don't want to destroy the PC with it being used

Another weird issue to add, is that I have also had problems with all the 3.0 USB ports not working on the motherboard anymore. But the ones on the case do work. The only 2 USB ports that work on the motherboard is the two at the very top (bios flashback and the USB port beside it). Which I believe aren't USB 3.0, which makes me to believe it may be the motherboard. But I am not for sure since I don't have another motherboard to test it.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Feb 18, 2023
How exactly did you update the BIOS and are you 100% it was successful? Also, I noticed you are mixing RAM which is not a good idea and can cause all sorts of issues.
I updated the BIOs using the flashback feature with a USB stick, and the way I found out it was successful was because the version of the BIOs had changed. It is now the latest BIOs I could find on the MSI website, which is l0 and it used to be the BIOs that originally came installed on the motherboard back in 2018, which was way before the newest BIOs was released. Unless there is another way to check it and I am completely wrong.

Also, I forgot to mention, the old ram sticks are no longer in the PC, just the Corsair ones. If that is what you're meaning by them being mixed. Only 2 slots are being taken up, not all 4.

What I have done now that seemed to fix it, since I can now run Cinebench all the wall through multiple times now and play GTA 5 with no problems. Is I turned PBO off of auto and turned it to do disabled.

I think the issue I was having is that my motherboard couldn't handle the CPU turning it itself up the clock speeds it was. Because I now have it sitting at a solid 4.6ghz at 1.25v and it's been stable running cinebench multiple times and temps are still fairly low. Never going past 80c on full load.

Unless there is something else you can think of, besides it being the motherboard unable to handle the CPU's power, since the motherboard was made for Ryzen 3000 series back in 2018.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Feb 18, 2023
Glad to hear you got it sorted and I agree that was probably your issue. I would definitely look into upgrading your motherboard to at least a decent B550 or X570, just so you can take full advantage of your CPU and GPU (PCle 4.0)
Yes, was really annoying that I couldn't play basically any game. The VRM temperatures were getting really high, so that's also why I expected it to be that. Was getting to near 100c, even on just 4.7ghz since the voltage had to be turned up or it wouldn't stay stable at 4.7ghz.

I was looking into getting a ASUS ROG Strix B550-F gaming motherboard to upgrade too. Unless you are able to find a better motherboard around the same price range. It's currently $219 CAD.

Would love to have my components at maximum performance.