PC black screens semi-randomly while gaming

Feb 7, 2019
My pc will black screen and loop any sound being played. The monitor will go into standby and I will have to press the power button untill it powers off since pressing the reset button seems to reboot windows but the black screen remains.

The strange part about this is that it will only sometimes crash in specific games under specific settings. So far, I've seen this happen in 3 games. All other games work fine.

It will 100% crash upon starting warfame in fullscreen, but not if it is switched to full screen later. And sometimes upon loading into certain levels or returning from them. No issues when playing in windowed for some reason.

War thunder will sometimes crash when flying close to the ground. Has stabilized to the point of virtually no crashes when i turned down 1.8x supersampling to 1.2x.

And finally, ace combat 7, where it will crash whenever it feels like. But the rate of crashing seems to correlate with the graphics settings. The game seems more stable with a lower graphics setting.

I know this isnt an issue with the games since no one else is running into these problems.

Anyone know what might be happening and how i can fix it?

Specs: i7-4790k, 16gb ddr3, gtx 970, can't remember what the MB was. MSI Z somthing